Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a link to a website that has detailed instructions on changing and setting up the ring and pinion gear of a 12bolt posi rear? I broke and cant afford stuff like installation costs and im sick of the car falling on its face after shifting into 3rd b/c of the stall speed and gearing combo.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The rearend is not an area where you want to practise and possibly learn by error. If you install the gears incorrectly, at the minimum you will probably destroy that brand new ring & pinion-and you could take out all the bearings in the rear end at the same time! I am not telling you not to do it, I am just warning you that it will get real expensive very quickly if you make the smallest of mistakes in setting up those gears. It takes some special equipment to do the job properly. The equipment alone will cost you more than it would to have an expert set it up. I have set up my own rear ends before and once you get the hang of it, it is not that challenging but if you make a mistake you could be endangering your life-and your wallets life! Best bet is to see if you can find someone locally who has done this job before and offer them beer & pizza to help you do it right..

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Thank you very much. Now that the swelling in my head has gone down, you will need some special tools to do it right. You will need a dial indicator with a magnetic base, a micrometer, a press, a bearing separator, a 3/4 drive breaker bar with a 1 1/8 socket, a large pipe wrengh or other tool to holt the pinion yoke while you put around 300 ft. lbs. of torque on the pinion nut, and a 1/4 drive beam or dial type torque wrench that reads between 0 and 30 inch pounds. You also need to understand what pinion dept, bearing preload, backlash and contact pattern are and how to adjust them. The most important thing is to have LOTS of patients and be willing to put it together and take it apart several times to get it right. If you think you can do this then go for it.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts