Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i am totally confused. I have read 4 different opinions of where the best positioning of the piston ring end gaps should be placed around the axis of the piston, now i get out the instruction sheet that came with my rings and they say something altogether different again. The instructions with the rings say that the top and second end gaps are directly opposed but that the oil ring end gaps, while not lined up with each other, should be postioned on the same side of the piston...HELP!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Can't find any notes on the subject, but as I recall, the top oil ring goes one inch to one side of the oil rail gap, the bottom oil ring goes one inch the other way.

The compression rings do get put opposite each other, but honestly I don't think its that big of a deal because they rotate in the groove anyway.

Ever pulled a motor apart and found the rings in the same spot you installed them? I haven't. Just follow the directions that came with your pistons and I'm sure you'll be fine.

·
3,408 Posts
Ditto what Eric said,
I have seen 3 or 4 different positions depending on the ring manufacturer etc. YOu can't go wrong following the directions for your rings.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Both of the guy's are right!

But all I did was just make sure none of the ends were on top of one another b/c I blow-torched a piston b/c the ends were stacked on one piston in my old '64 Ford fairlane S/W's 221", V-8 motor, (was supposed to have been a 260"er, but??), years ago and had to put the 221"er back in it out of my old '63 Merc. Meteor..

Years later, I did a dingle-berry, shade-tree, $150 overhaul to the old 260"er and ran her another, (I kid you not), 100,000 miles more just a putzzing around!! Heck, it had at least 117,000 miles on it then b/c it only showed 17,000.. Might a been 217,000??

Loved that old Wagon!!

AND I NEVER BEAT ON THE OLD CAR, NEVER!!!

pdq67

1 - 4 of 4 Posts