Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I re-posted this here because I have seen more questions and comments regarding a roll cage in the this forum.

For those of you installing a roll bar/cage in your car and need to bend some tubing try this.

Mod's if this needs to be moved please do so.

1 1/4 inch Sch 40 PVC (a 10 foot stick is $5.00 at Home Depot) is very close to the same OD of the roll bar tubing, Heat it up with a propane torch very slowly ( so it won't melt or kink when you bend it) it will bend and flex like wet spaghetti noodles. Shape it how you need it to fit and let it cool or hit it with water and it will firm back up. Now you can take your strait tube to a shop and have a template in O.D and length for them to bend it to and it will fit first time.

This work great for forming rear struts or to form a side bar to fit your door panel and set set up or anyplace else you need to tweak a tube. It works great.

:beers:

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
This is a really good idea, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ishmael
Eleanor's Nemesis (we must know each other ;) )

Thanks, It makes a big difference when your on a budget build. A general contractor friend of mine showed me this trick so I can't claim full credit.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Sounds like it might be useful for exhaust also. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rojo

I thought about that I am just not even close to doing exhaust work yet. :noway:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Good Idea! any pics?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ZMAN

No I don't have any right now bit I will take some soon. This worked so great for the rear struts I just picked up some more PVC to fab up my door bars, I have the deluxe door panels and I want to work around them and not have to put the standard panels on like others have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just fyi, different tubing sizes have different bend radius according to the die the tube bender is using. So when you take your heated up pvc pipe to the bender. The steel tube bent wont completely match the heated up pvc bend. Yes... I know you can match the degree angle but you wont have an accurate radius when your trying to fit that tube tight into the interior like how its suppose to be.

Im not trying to call anyone out, I am just making it aware that some fab shops and tube bending shops will ask for a radius size. Now your little pvc mock up is useless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts