Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the interior completely gutted and plan on installing a roll cage or having it done for me. my question is which should i do first. the headliner or the cage. if the cage goes in first then it seams there would be clearence issues on the headliner install. if i do the headliner first i imagine the welding of the cage could damage it. any help would be great

·
Super Moderator
32,452 Posts
One can go either way with the install. You must protect the h/liner from burning holes into it. If you have the roll cage custom installed, the welder may not care about the h/liner, consequently, holes will be there upon return of the car. Unless you get a carnut or gearhead trained welder.

You can use a thin sheet, say .020-.030 alum, of large area, 12 or 14 inch square, and use it to protect the headliner, if installing h/liner is done first.

I installed roll bar years ago and used fire cloth to protect. Gravity prevailed, so its easier done with two people, the protector(cloth holder) and the welder.

In later years, I changed out the h/liner. It was like working on a Jungle Gym(?) set when I got to the back seat area.

Personally, if I was having it all done custom, I'd do the cage first then the h/liner. This way you could paint the rollcage to match the interior color or ext color without overspray problems.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I installed the rollcage with the old headliner installed so I could see where to position the bars close to the headliner, but not too tight. I then installed a new headliner afterwards. It`s alot of work with the rollcage in the way, but the final product is definately worth the effort. Brent

·
Registered
31 Posts
i just had a full cage put in my stripped out 68, haven't gotten to the headliner yet. make sure you tell the welder to leave enough room so you can squeeze in the headliner. remember that the last thing on most welders minds while building a cage is thinking if the interior guy is gonna have enough room to do his thing!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have done roll bar installs both ways for customers. If the chassis builder is professional he will shield the liner from weld splatter and heat by using sheetmetal. I also always cover the glass from the inside with heavyduty cardboard to prevent spakle from the grinder. If you have gauges and or a radio, make sure to cover them up too as the tape slot can fill with grinder dust and render it useless!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts