Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and help please,

What started out to be a simple (?) swap from P/G to a Muncie-20 on my 69 SS clone has ballooned into a major, at least for me, project. I was just going to pull just the motor and trans and make the swap. Instead I started looking at all the other things that needed done (like repair rust damage & replace sub-frame mounts, replace heater fan, rad supports etc.-etc.). Now I’ve got everything off the front of the car and was wondering what is the easiest and cleanest way to roll out the front subframe. I’ve got to take it on a small flat bed trailer to work and weld on patch plates at the sub frame holes. In particular where and how should I separate the steering column and the brake lines/master cylinder to allow the sub frame to roll out. (I emphasize the lack of mess. When pulling the motor/trans, I was doing real well until it came time to remove the trans. I figured I had drained the all the fluid from the P/G so I just pulled the trans off the back of the engine and left the converter attached. Well needless to say I had a river of ATF running all over the garages floor.) Did I say that I’ve never done this kind of thing before?? Pretty obvious isn’t it!!

I’ll continue to stumble on with this never-ending adventure. Any suggestions that you care to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
don't forget the parking brake- it should be removed from the pedal inside tha car and pulled down thru the floor and unhooked under the car. it goes thru the inside of the subframe, so just leave it in there.
also, look out for any ground wires that go from frame to body, and the fuel line needs to come off the frame.
unhook those few things, and it should (perhaps?) drop right out.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions and help!

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts