·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a rollcage put into my car. There are two supports that
come off the main hoop and go back into the trunk. It would be
nice if they landed right on the frame rails. Sadly , the NHRA/IHRA
require that the back supports be the same distance apart at their
termination in the trunk as at their attachment point on the main hoop.
The SCCA further stipulates that these supports must be straight, as in
no pro street type back supports. To meet all these requirements,
the back supports would have to right through the trunk lid supports.
How did any of you deal with this on your cars?

Ed Bleich

·
Registered
117 Posts
Something doesn't sound right I assuming you have a 1st gen and everyone I see at the track have theirs going throught he speaker holes which is where mine go through on my 2nd gen and the NHRA tech guys didn't complain.I did have to use 6"X6" plates on either side of the trunk floor because they didn't hit the frame.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "something doesn't sound right" is
that I wanted mine to hit the frame rails
directly and you have the 6x6 plates that
they attach to, which, I presume, in turn
attach to the floor or frame rail. I maybe
trying to do something that is too
complicated.

Ed

·
Registered
234 Posts
You are (doing something that's too complicated).

The issue with the rear bars - if they're bent, you need to go to the next size tube diameter than what's required.

For example: If you need a 1 5/8 x .120 tube if you bend it, it must be 1 3/4 x .120, or be a thicker diameter wall.

We have unibody cars. There's no frame or structure to attach the bars to - so the 6x6" plate is legit if it's welded to the floor.

UNLESS you modify the firewall or the floor of the stock vehicle. If you do this, then you cause extra requirement & scrutiny upon yourself (requires a cage of some sort).

You don't need to open your floor up and drop the hoop onto the frame connectors. My rear hoop is directly over the front spring eyes, but this car is a 73 camaro. I'd assume the 1st gen bar would end up in the same spot.

I used to work tech at Road Atlanta, that don't mean jack squat, except I checked a lot of cars. From goofy VW's to Trans Am hardware. I took my time with the GT1 style hardware.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ah, if you want the bars to hit the rails, you can't go through the speaker openings in the package tray.

The rear frame rails on a camaro are spot welded to the floor, so if you hit the trunk floor metal in the right spot, you are tied in with the rail itself.

If you don't hit the rear rail, you need the steel plate to reinforce the mounting point of the bar.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear supports will go through the rear
package shelf - the speaker holes for
instance, but could be elsewhere as I have no speakers. It would seem there is no way to have a stright bar, hit the frame rail
directly and not interfere with the trunk
lid hinge mount. So the answer is a 6x6 mounting plate to the floor.

Ed

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't have my rule book handy(suppose to be working)but I would have a look in there I don't have my plates welded and have never had problems passing tech.If I remember right it says something about the size of the bolts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also wanted mine to hit the frame rails
so what I did is come off the main hoop
straight back through the back firewall
then where the tubes hit in the trunk I mounted the 6x6x.125thick as NHRA/IHRA rules
then just to make it a little stronger I
welded up a piece of 2x3square tube from
under car from framerail to framerail under
car (not running factory fuel tank) then
welded trunk floor to this also.
Did another car like this also had no
problems passing tech.
Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts