Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My freshly built 454 has the original GM rocker arms. Those rockers have 106,000+ miles on them. There is ONE that I cannot get to stop ticking and it is visually slightly off center of the valve top.

Comp "says" 15 to 30 more HP with their $139.00 Roller Rocker Arms. That sounds like a small price for "that much" improvement.

This is a Hyd flat tappet Comp 260

I guess I am asking.....

Is there really an advantage to roller rocker arms?

·
19,842 Posts
Full roller rockers would be better and any gain you would see would be from a more accurate ratio Vs. stock factory stamped steel (that aren't always accurate)

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I love my roller tips!!!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I really don't think any of them give the increases that are claimed. Come on, 30 HP from a set of rockers? Ludicrous. There are certainly positives, but not close to that big.

I ran hundred dollar summit roller tips for years. They did thier job well.
Going with full rollers now, I'm sure they will do thier job too.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Full rollers are worth considerably more due to the way the fulcrum works versus the slipping ball of GM's, but I doubt you'll see 30hp. Do several searches before you decide on a brand, there are plenty out there that are good and plenty that are junk. On a budget, I think Harland Sharp is the best bang for the buck, they've been at it a long, long time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm running a set of PROFORM full roller rockers and they only set me back $170. I was on a tight budget so that's why I went with those. You can clearly see the advantage of full rollers and compared to roller tip or stock. Go with a name brand for sure but I say your hp's will only go up about 10-12 not the 30 some people claim.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Don't want to steal this tread, but can you install rollers on a head without guides?

·
Registered
539 Posts
The HP robbing friction is in the ball and rocker pivot design. This is what robs power. By making this fulcrum a needle bearing design is what makes power. . .roller tips don't. If your not going to get full roller rockers then don't waste the money...what do I know. .. .I use to work for a rocker arm company.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
6 hp??

I figure CC's investment cast Magnum roller tipped rockers b/c they are a uniform 1.72 ratio up to say their ABOUT 350 pounds limit are fine unless you use Ti/Nitride jobbers that increase the load to like 380 or so as a GUESS by me!!!!!

Go over what TiN treated stock type rockers can take and you need to use full roller fulcum and tipped jobbers imho b/c you will be up into the solid roller cam spring ranges that will need them to live!!

pdq67

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Full rollers are worth considerably more due to the way the fulcrum works versus the slipping ball of GM's, but I doubt you'll see 30hp. Do several searches before you decide on a brand, there are plenty out there that are good and plenty that are junk. On a budget, I think Harland Sharp is the best bang for the buck, they've been at it a long, long time.

I agree with Gary on the friction part of standard ball pivot . I had a set of Comp Magnums and I could see where the pivot pocket had "blued" a little at one time, not sure if it was at start up or not but they did get lube prior. But being I ran high spring pressures, that may have contributed to it. I have the full roller rocker now.

Marc, yes you can install these roller tip rockers on heads with no guides, you do have to use the "self-aligning " type. The have little guide tabs on the end of each roller to keep them centered on the valve stem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts