Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a1969 Orange SS Camaro. Seem to have found one. Yet I am reading a lot of member posts on avoiding dealers. I would welcome any input on this 69’. In Pennsylvania at a dealer called Hanksters. Here’s the link.
I would super appreciate any advice. They are asking $49,900. Thank you members.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
I have been searching for a1969 Orange SS Camaro. Seem to have found one. Yet I am reading a lot of member posts on avoiding dealers. I would welcome any input on this 69’. In Pennsylvania at a dealer called Hanksters. Here’s the link.
I would super appreciate any advice. They are asking $49,900. Thank you members.
Looks nice but never saw under hood or undercarriage pics. Dealer. No matter what you pay too much.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Do the math. In this hobby its real easy to get upside down on the value vs money sunk into our cars. Take the initial cost of the car, add in whatever improvements...engine, trans, paint, interior, whatever. It all ads up. Assuming you are looking at a straight shooting dealer that dealer has to add the cost of doing business into the cost of the car. Before you drop 50 k into a dealers lap you owe it to yourself to see what it gets you in the private market. Btw, based on the pics, i wouldnt touch that car at that money.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks nice but never saw under hood or undercarriage pics. Dealer. No matter what you pay too much.
[/QUOTE

thanks and on their site shows 92 pics and video
Perhaps you can look. Hanksters hot rods In Pennsylvania. Appreciate your help

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the math. In this hobby its real easy to get upside down on the value vs money sunk into our cars. Take the initial cost of the car, add in whatever improvements...engine, trans, paint, interior, whatever. It all ads up. Assuming you are looking at a straight shooting dealer that dealer has to add the cost of doing business into the cost of the car. Before you drop 50 k into a dealers lap you owe it to yourself to see what it gets you in the private market. Btw, based on the pics, i wouldnt touch that car at that money.
Thank you. Does the pics show something I don’t see as a novice? Also what’s best way to find private sellers ?

·
14,512 Posts
Hanksters is close to bottom of the barrel. Right down there with Smokies Mountain Trader. If you want to spend $10k-$15k more than the car is worth go for it.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
You didn't post your location. There may be someone close to you who will help you out.

Unless you are very familiar with old cars, don't go it alone.

That car is horribly overpriced. Any time a 69 has a replacement grill where the SKIPPED painting the surround part of the grill, you know they cut corners. That takes about an extra hour to paint when doing the rest of the car (max). If they cut that corner, what else was skipped? That is just one red flag from looking at the first pic.

Be patient. Wait on the right car at a decent price. Also, BEFORE you shop in earnest, decide whether you care about "numbers". Nothing wrong with wanting a "numbers matching" car; but then there is nothing wrong with wanting a good driver, regardless of whether the original engine is in it. Decide what is important to you, decide on your price range, and go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
Also what’s best way to find private sellers ?

Craigslist, Facebook, Ebay, in that order.

Don't rule out a car that is a few hundred miles away; just be prepared to have someone check it out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You didn't post your location. There may be someone close to you who will help you out.

That car is horribly overpriced. Any time a 69 has a replacement grill where the SKIPPED painting the surround part of the grill, you know they cut corners. That takes about an extra hour to paint when doing the rest of the car (max). If they cut that corner, what else was skipped? That is just one red flag from looking at the first pic.

Be patient. Wait on the right car at a decent price. Also, BEFORE you shop in earnest, decide whether you care about "numbers". Nothing wrong with wanting a "numbers matching" car; but then there is nothing wrong with wanting a good driver, regardless of whether the original engine is in it. Decide what is important to you, decide on your price range, and go from there.
[QUOTE="bilodeaulynn, post: 1783252414, member: 16104
Be patient. Wait on the right car at a decent price. Also, BEFORE you shop in earnest, decide whether you care about "numbers".
[/QUOTE]

OP. Listen to these guys. I was 19 and the internet did not exist. These guys are giving good advice about being patient They know their stuff!

·
Super Moderator
32,797 Posts
Welcome to the club. Good luck with the search.
As said, watch out, and ask as there is a lot of talent here.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,806 Posts
Just a few days ago there was a guy that posted about a car he had just bought (from a dealer) with an engine that had 1 mile on it. Not long after he bought it, it started running bad. His car was at a service shop and they were telling him the valves had bent and damaged the pistons. Hopefully, your journey won't include a regretful situation.
First rule; Take your time. Since you are looking for a car and not a project, someone else did the work, and at this point in the process, you have no clue if the work that was done was done right or done wrong. This will drastically change the amount of money you will spend on it after you buy it.
Don't even look at a car once you discover it is being offered from a dealer. With private party cars, get them on a lift, and ask for receipts.You will get a lot of help from members on this site. They will go look at it if the prospect is far from you. Good luck on your journey!
Brett....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hanksters is close to bottom of the barrel. Right down there with Smokies Mountain Trader. If you want to spend $10k-$15k more than the car is worth go for it.
Appreciate the heads up. Not going there. Their reviews were poor too. On with the search...

·
Registered
54 Posts
As someone who has recently learned what fender droop is, there is no better example than the grill level picture of this car.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I would even be surprised if it was a factory SS. Reason no detail pix of undercarriage, interior, engine. As everyone has said, too much $$$. Keep looking. Does have to be an SS and orange?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Very helpful ! I am in Connecticut.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would even be surprised if it was a factory SS. Reason no detail pix of undercarriage, interior, engine. As everyone has said, too much $$$. Keep looking. Does have to be an SS and orange?
Not necessarily. But I do dig orange or even a copper metallic. I realize these colors are not original. However what matters the most is that the car is solid and done correctly. I queasy matching numbers is a positive, yet I don’t think it’s vital. Yet I am new at this. Obviously 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a few days ago there was a guy that posted about a car he had just bought (from a dealer) with an engine that had 1 mile on it. Not long after he bought it, it started running bad. His car was at a service shop and they were telling him the valves had bent and damaged the pistons. Hopefully, your journey won't include a regretful situation.
First rule; Take your time. Since you are looking for a car and not a project, someone else did the work, and at this point in the process, you have no clue if the work that was done was done right or done wrong. This will drastically change the amount of money you will spend on it after you buy it.
Don't even look at a car once you discover it is being offered from a dealer. With private party cars, get them on a lift, and ask for receipts.You will get a lot of help from members on this site. They will go look at it if the prospect is far from you. Good luck on your journey!
Brett....
Brett thanks man !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I realize this next 69’ is at a dealer. Yet if you guys can take a peak at it and help my Camaro educational process I’d appreciate that. To me it’s good looking and cool. Yet it’s a lot of money and just uncertain.
thanks again

1969 Chevrolet Camaro

·
14,512 Posts
About $15k-$20k overpriced.

I stop in to a Street Side Classics showroom close to my Florida home. The cars are grossly misrepresented on there website and way overpriced. Out of the 100 or more they have in the showroom warehouse maybe a half a dozen are nice and those few are priced at double what they are worth. Talking to them most of their buyer buy sight unseen and the cars are shipped to them. IMHO if a buyer saw them in person he would never pay the price

1 - 20 of 182 Posts