Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question guys.

the motor is in the car, i have the plugs out so it will spin easily and want to adjust the lifters. i noticed the center of the crankshaft on the front (454) is Hex keyed.

Is it OK to rotate the crankshaft using a 3/8" Hex drive on my 1/2" breaker bar?

·
3,408 Posts
i noticed the center of the crankshaft on the front (454) is Hex keyed.
Steve,
How about a picture .... I have never seen a Chevy crankshaft that is "Hex keyed" ???? Theya re all treaded for the damper retaining bolt. Are you sure someone did not leave some type of tool in the end of the crank ????

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bill - my lame description. it is the damper bolt that has a 3/8" hex head rather then a 6 pt bolt. guess it's fine to just crank it clockwise to spin the motor, right?

·
3,408 Posts
Steve,
The damper bolt on a big block should have at least a 5/8" hex head. Whatever it is, you should really not use it to rotate the engine. If you do some searching you will find several threads where guys have broken the bolts or stripped threads doing so :( There is a tool that bolts to the three damper bolts in place of the pulley that makes the job pretty easy. Or even easier is to get a remote starter switch and let the starter do the work for you :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts