Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last oil change on my wifes car was done by Pep Boys (never again). The monkey must have put the oil drain plug in with an impact. It would not come out. It was eventually rounded off and left for me to deal with. As luck had it, Sears had a Craftsman sale this weekend and I bought a set of impact sockets designed to remove rounded off nuts and bolts. $50.00, best I ever spent. After getting the car in the air in the driveway and setting up, I followed the instructions on the socket set, and with one zip, the plug was out. These sockets have teeth that dig into the bolt counterclockwise. The harder you try to remove the bolt, the deeper the teeth dig. Very nice addition to my tool box. ARR....ARR...ARR...ARR

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Tools are always good. My brother had a similiar experience. At least you have a good ending.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Glad to hear that you were able to get the plug out. The right tool makes all of the difference. I had a similar problem when I bought the 69. The clutch was chattering and I suspected that the disk was in backwards. I was right. The springs in the disk were almost worn through and the flywheel bolts were almost worn off. I had to use a brand new socket and make that I use very even square pressure to ensure the thin bolt heads didn't get rounded off. I was very nervous while I was doing it. Because of the recess in the flywheel, a socket is the only way to get them out. I feel your pain and your relief when you were finished.

·
Registered
166 Posts
love Sears tools and hate there service center! They stripped the bolt on my wife's car also. They had told her that the bolt was stripped. 6 hours later, I got off work and she's still there. I show up and the man tells me the bolt is shot. I told him, its more likely the pan since the pan is a softer metal. He ask me were did I get the oil changed last. Ahh - Right at sears!!! They send me to a dealer and blow me off. Long story short - had to fight them out. On top of it all, The dealer dumped my old oil back in my wife's car! I no longer will do builsness with either again! Thanks for letting me vent! I am going to buy the sockets mentioned.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Snatchin (I won't shorten your name more than that), I did install a new drain plug with a touch of antisieze. In all probability, I won't be using the sockets all that often, but as we all know, the more tools, the happier we are and it is always a pleasure to have the needed tool on hand when you need it. I have tools I have had for over 30 years. Used them once or twice, but they are always there.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,362 Posts
I've never bought a tool that I didn't eventually use again. An investment in prosperity is what I call it. I'm going to look into those impact sockets also.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
No matter what the tool - if I needed it once, I bought it.
I would loan a tool to a new or younger mechanic once and inform them that if they were going to need it again - they would have to buy it. Helped them build up their tools and do a better job as it did for me.
I still have many of the original Kent-Moore tools I bought for Chevy stuff, boy do they come in handy sometimes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts