Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of sevice routine would you guys think would best serve my 69Z with the 302? For example oil change every three months or 3000 miles. Also what oil, plugs, plug wires and other regular sevice products do you recommend? Is one distributor cap better than the other? I live on the Florida panhandle which I assume does effect some product choices such as oil weight. What about the Muncie tranny? This may be a stupid question and I've never heard of anyone doing it but wouldn't it make sense to change out brake and power steering fluid much like the motor oil? Long weekend coming up and I plan on spending some time in the garage so any advice or recommendations you care to offer up will be greatly appreciated. Most importantly everyone have a safe and HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I should add that my Camaro is not driven daily but I do get her out regularly and let her stetch her legs. Thanks guys!

[This message has been edited by dz3oh2 (edited 11-26-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Hi DZ, I'm not an expert on parts choices but AC delco parts should be fine. I don't really see any reason to go with $2-3 platinum plugs for example. I run 20-50W Castrol in my 327. I don't run the car when it's 30 or even 40 degrees outside anyway so this viscosity isn't too thick in my opinion. Now, if I lived in the upper midwest or alaska, it'd be a different story. As far as the trans goes, do you know when the gear oil was last changed? If you don't, I personally would change just so I knew how fresh it is. 80-90W is fine for it. Flushing the brake fluid is a good idea too, something I don't do nearly enough on my vehicles. It doesn't need to be done like oil changes, but if it's very dark or black looking you may want to do that as well. Power steering fluid is something I've never changed myself. But if the fluid looked contaminated to me, I would. You may even want to check your rearend while your at all this. If it's a posi make sure you add the additive with the gear oil as well.
I don't know how long you've had your Z, but I've always gone thru any vehicle new to me & changed out fluids right away so I know where the vehicle stands for my maintence records, and I have piece of mind about it.
Have fun.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
Id recommend you run 10-w40 Synthetic oil, and change it once a year with depth type filters, change them at 6 months. Also use Syn fluid in tranny and differential.
AC parts like plugs etc are good. Warm your car up before driving, newer cars are start and go, but not the old ones. I will be in the panhandle in Feb. maybe we can get all the camaros down there to gather and yak

click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responces. That's the kind of advice I was looking for. The time you guys take to help us novices out is apprecited more than you know. If there are others with an opinion jump in, knowledge is power. I purchased the AC Delco R43S plugs, Accel 8mm plug wires, Sorensen tune-up components (distributor cap, rotor, condensor and points). Is this stuff ok or should I upgrade? Click keep me informed we'll hook up, I'm looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The R43S plugs are too cold for normal street use - you'll probably experience some fouling and missing with them. I run R45S in my '69Z for normal driving and they cured a recurring fouling issue I had with 44's. 43's are race plugs.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 6 of 6 Posts