Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with Royal Purple oil, in either late model cat cars or old school Hotrods or Race cars?

Any comments good, bad or otherwise?

For anyone who has used Royal Purple Racing Oil or XPR Racing Oil, in addition to any other comments, how clean did the engine look inside after running that oil for some time?

Thanks for any input you may have.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use the Royal Puple racing 41, :yes: now called XRP. I only have about 1500 miles on my combo, when I changed the intake last year everything looked good inside. Can't say much more about it, just that it's expensive. Seems to work good. :thumbsup: No probs anyway ---Bill.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I just started using it about 3wks ago. The first thing that I noticed was the oil pressure went up from 60-70 (cold) to 80! And 80 is the max on my guage. At idle when warm it went down to 40. This is with 20w-50. So far I like it, except the price, around $7.50qt.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
We've used RP Racing 41 for quite a while in our road racer with no oil related problems at all.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I use it in all my cars, 02 Grandprix, 96 Camaro RS, and 69 Camaro. We just bought an Envoy and will switch that too once its broken in. Rp smoothed out the idle in every car and improved gas mileage(didn't really notice it in the 69 probably because I have a heavy foot in that car). Cars run a little cooler in the summer as well. They say it can go 12000 miles with oil filter changes at 3000-3500 miles, but I don't follow that. Since we basically drive on the highway I change it at 7500 miles.

A little while back, I took my grand prix into the shop to have the intake gasket replaced. They changed the oil with reg oil. The next few weeks, we had temps around zero maybe below. The car was much harder to start. Since I've changed back to RP, I noticed it starts much easier regardless of the temp. RP made me a believer and it fits my driving habits perfect.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just started using it about 3wks ago. The first thing that I noticed was the oil pressure went up from 60-70 (cold) to 80! And 80 is the max on my guage. At idle when warm it went down to 40. This is with 20w-50. So far I like it, except the price, around $7.50qt.
Why are you running 20w50? 80PSI cold then down to 40 warm is an indication that 20w50 isn't in the right range for where you drive, a 15w-40 or 10w-30 should be much better.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why are you running 20w50? 80PSI cold then down to 40 warm is an indication that 20w50 isn't in the right range for where you drive, a 15w-40 or 10w-30 should be much better.
Thanks, I thought I might have got the wrong oil. thanks again.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.