Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if you can use the standard wiring harness for a 69 and split the back up wires to meet the RS style backup lights on the lower tail panel or am I stuck having to buy an RS harness?

Thanks,

Curt

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Curt if you aren't worried about originality because the RS back up lights have built in wire grommets where they pass through the trunk, then yes you can use your existing harness. Simply cut the old connector off and butt splice in a length of wire adequate to reach the RS lens assembly you've added and hook them up.

·
Registered
768 Posts
curt,

the 69 rs back-up light housings come with a pigtail that has the rubber grommet molded onto it. the trunk wiring harness just has a plug on it, no grommet.

i have an old mangled 69 rs trunk harness that is missing some bulb holders. with some splicing and the old bulb holders from your standard harness you could make this one work and everything would plug in correctly. i ended up buying a new harness for my car and have this one left over. i'd part with it pretty cheap if you're interested. could email pics too if interested.

charles

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The RS also lights the inside panels (I guess you call it that) when the brake lights are on. rather than just lighting the outer 2 panels for brakes, 4 panels are lit. You may never notice it , but you may consider replacing the inner bulb wiring also.
TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Replies.
After looking an my current harness...it seems "chopped up" alreay with a lot of electrical tape hold a majority of it together. I am repainting the car & replacing the little things so I guess it may be in my best interest in just getting the RS harness anyway. Ricks has the following : 69 RS Rear Body Light Harness for 93.95, is that the going price for this..seems kinda high.

Thanks,

Curt

·
Registered
768 Posts
i just got a new rear 69 RS harness from Rick's last week, that's why i offered my old RS harness to you. the new one fit perfectly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Run269,

I really appreciate your offer. It sounds from your description that your RS harness is in the shape of my standard one. Like I said, I am replacing most of the stuff on my car while being painted so guess I'll go your route getting a new one & since you commented that it fits great.
I found it at NPD for 84.95 but havent ordered from them before so dont know about excessive shipping costs.

Thanks,

Curt

·
Registered
768 Posts
my harness was a Factory Fit brand. i've searched this site a lot and that seems to be the best brand for stock (non-custom) replacement harnesses. good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts