Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, have 67'rs just fully restored incl. new harnes. With the headlights on if I step on the brake for more than 3 or 4 minutes (a CA stoplight) the circut breaker for headlights kicks...headlights go off and doors won't work...wait 5 minutes everything back to normal. any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hey Emmett sounds like one of those fun jobs,
For some reason it sounds like there is a back feed of power through the light circuit from the brake light circuit, the easy fix is to just shift into neutral, (just kidding)
The head lights switch has a built in circuit breaker and this is what is kicking off the head lights, Check the tail light bulbs and sockets, make sure they are properly grounded, The 68 /67 have a small metal clip which grounds the socket when it is installed in the lense.
I once had a bad bulb that would light both filiaments of the bulb at the same time, it was super bright, so you want to make sure that the bulbs are installed correct, dull on taillight, bright on signal.
One last thing to try is bring your engine speed up to a faster idle when sitting at the light, your altenator may not be putting out enough power while you sitting at the light with all the accessaries on, and lights.
Last thing to do would be change or try a different head light switch as the circuit breaker may be the culprit. Hope this gives you some where to start, Good Luck, Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installed all new harnes w/sockets (aftermkt junk)and did have problems w/taillight socket...fixed that. I do have a low volt problem @ idle I'll look @ that next.
thanks for the tips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts