Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been missing my vacuum reserve tank but my right headlight cover works fine. The left one needs to be repaired but even without the reserve tank works o.k.

I installed my reserve tank but cannot get the lights to work. If I bypass the tank they work. The tank as you know is quite large. Does the tank need to be filled to work? How does the tank get filled? Will it fill itself after a time of driving and then work?

Could the bozo that bypassed the reserve tank originally change the vacuum hoses? My hoses are straight blank with no markings.

Thanks

Bluesdog

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a new reserve tank but i'll still check for leaks.

DJD - the link you gave me was helpful. My car is a '68, the reserve tank has two hose attachments not one as the '69 does.

Do you have a link for a '68 schematic? I have the chassis and body books but they are hard to follow.

Thanks

Bluesdog

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
I don't yet. I'm looking for the pages from the '68 AIM and then will add additional info and a drawing to cover the '68... It would make sense that the '68 used the tank with 2 connections in place of the tee that the '69 has with the 2 yellows and the black (the black would go to one port on the tank and the yellow to the other). With a diagram or a car that is plumbed correctly it's hard to say though...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The 68 setup does not use the vacuum splitter assembly up at the firewall (just to the right of the filter in the diagram). The line comes from the manifold, through the filter, to the T-fitting in the Yellow line.

The vacuum supply (black hose going to the switch) for the headlight switch comes from the second port on the tank. The rest is the same as the '69 setup....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I got the vacuum working and with the tank the right door does work quicker. The acuator arm on the left sticks so I'll replace it. However, I have a bigger problem, the lever assembly doesn't line up with the actuator arm to put the pin in since the part of the frame the lever gets bolted to is bent. I'll have to bring it somewhere to get straighted out or new piece welded in. Oh well, always something!

Bluesdog

1 - 9 of 9 Posts