Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever converted a standard 68 grille to an RS grille? And is there any way to make the headlight doors open manually from inside the car?

·
Registered
48 Posts
They make a kit to convert a standard front end to rs.The doors on a 68 and 69 are vacum activated were as a 67 are opened by motors.The Paddock has the kit fora 68 for $1165.95

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I'm afraid luke is right. If you want RS doors to open from the inside of the car, you'll have to spring for the whole enchilada. Unless you want to tie strings to the doors, feed them thru the firewall, and pull them open at night. And I KNOW you weren't thinking that, right?
(please say right)

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro

·
Registered
797 Posts
OK, I will bite on this one.. If you are really creative (read=too broke to buy the right parts) you can use a power window motor (1) to actuate both doors simultaneously. The electric motor can be hidden so that it wont be seen through the grille and also there are only wires that connect one door to the other so they are very difficult to see. This is my plan and no matter how many people tell me it won't work-IT WILL.. Now, where are those funny little pills the doctor told me to take when I start to feel this way..

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
GO69, I won't tell you it won't work, But when you get it working that way, I'd love to see it.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luke67 I've seen that kit and it is pretty expensive. Since I can't afford it I was thinking of going the poor mans route and make some type of linkage using a lever to open the doors from inside the car. I know it sounds pretty lame and probably will just take my time and search the swap meets for the right parts. But if I do decide to do it and make it work I'll let everyone know how I did it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Plymouth and Dodge had a manual pull system
on there hood scoops on some of their HiPo cars that were pulled with a knob from just under the dash from inside. I think this is were Phil is trying to go with this. It will take some engineering on your part, but if you can do it....??
Correct me if I'm wrong Phil.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
shadow53

I can just see you going down some well lit street. You know your lights are on because the dash is lit, but you forgot to pull your manual lever. Oh well, maybe you'll just get a warning.

·
Retired
26,594 Posts
You don't have to be a University of McGiver grad to figure something out. A manual choke cable opens and closes the choke on a carb.
You can buy bicycle cables by the foot. Tie the 2 bell cranks together, setup a spring to tension and close them and use a 10speed shifter mounted under the dash.....

Personally I wouldn't go to the expense of converting a non RS car. Think about how much farther your project would get with the money spent on other stuff (interior, chrome etc). If mine didn't work I would just leave them open until I could aford to fix them properly...

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a Dodge Charger SE that had manual headlight doors. Every night I'd turn on the headlights, pull over, and manually pull the doors open. It also had a manual electric sunroof, manual electric windows and a manual electric seat.
What a piece of crap that car was.

MOPAR- mostly old parts and rust!
At least the 440 ran strong.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DjD my car isn't orginally an RS car but since it doesn't have the grille anyway I was thinking of converting it over. I know most people frown on clones but I since I couldn't find an RS body in my price range I picked this one up. I don't have to worry about spending money on interior because the person I bought the car from had it redone from carpet to headliner and its PERFECT. I only paid $400 for the car so I have money to spend in other areas, like the body.

·
Registered
304 Posts
anything is possible has long as there is duct tape and hangers!

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
$400 shadow? You got a good buy. The new interior is worth more than that. Even if the body was toast and it had no motor, you didn't get hurt. Good score.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400

·
Registered
523 Posts
Think about this guys. If you want the "converted" RS headlight doors to work like 90-95% of the real RS's, then all you have to do is to make them NOT open at all!!!

Personally I kind of like the look of the headlights shining through the slits in the headlight doors!!! What do you think the GM boys were thinking about when they came up with the idea of those "open" slits????

It probably went something like this:

GM head engineer:

"Hey guys what are the chances of these headlamp doors working right most of the time????"

GM worker bee engineers:

"ZERO, BOSS, ZERO!!!"

GM Head Engineer:

"Well, we can mount two flashlight holders, one on each front fender so that the driver can install flashlights on the fenders when the doors don't open

OR

We can cut slits in the doors so that the driver can have the equivalent light of two candles in a dark secluded cave.

What do you want to do?????"

GM Worker Bee Engineers:

"I guess the slits boss, we found out the flashlight option produces way too much drag in wind tunnel testing!!!"

WAALAA!!! That's why we have slits boys!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stevo Camaro the car also came with cragar rims, new BFG tires,4 koni shocks, a B&M shifter, and a TH350. The right front is perfect and the left front needs to be hammered out a little bit. The only bad part is that I need a new quarter and tailpan. OUCH! But since I plan on taking my time doing this car its still worth it. I will be selling my standard front grille assembly soon so if anyone wants it make me an offer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Heck, my car's an original SS/RS with brand new motors, doors, relays, and wiring....and they still only operate properly 50% of the time.

SOmetimes the doors hit the limit switches and they don't shut off when they open, so they keep banging against the stops unitl the motor breaker trips

Then, sometimes one closes while the other is stuck open....a neat effect.

And yes, everything is hooked up properly.

I have been seriously thinking of a system that bypasses the whole relay plate/limit switch system......as most of the time when I need the headlights, I have to stop the car, get out, and uses the "manual" relays (my hands) to open the doors.

David

1 - 20 of 28 Posts