Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make my own hoses instead of wasting money on the kit. Could somebody tell me what sizes the hoses are? I believe the main ones that go across the rad. support are 5/16. What size are the ones that tee off of them and go to the actuators? 3/16 or 1/4? What about the ones that go to the headlight switch? I believe the hose that has the filter in it goes to a vacuum port on the motor. Is that correct and what size is it? I have the factory assembly manual but it is hard to tell where all the lines connect. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks, John

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Look up RPO Z22 in your copy of the factory assembly instruction manual (AIM) for your '68. If you don't have one, get one! It's a must for anyone that ones one of these classics... I don't blame anyone for not trying to explain the routing as it would take several pages to describe so you'd understand. A picture is truly worth a thousand words as there are about 20 or so connection points...

·
Registered
424 Posts
The ones that tee off are 3/16, so is the one that goes to the headlight switch from the vacuum port on the intake. Dennis is right about trying to explain it. Take your time and study the pics in the manual, they are a pain in the a$$ to figure out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
John. Give me your e-mail address and I 'll send you my diagram. I just fixed mine after using a simplified diagram I drew. I think you'll like it. Todd o
[email protected]

·
Registered
204 Posts
No problem. How do I get your e-mail addresses?
Todd :confused:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks DJD. Todd

·
Registered
204 Posts
Glad to hear it John.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just completed my 68 headlight vacuum hose restoration with many thanks to this forum for the diagrams and links. I used my own hose vs the out of the box solutions. For about half the cost. For what its worth, here is my configuration and hose sizes.

Manifold to main tank. (Main tank in engine area)
Approx 5 to 6 feet of 3/16 vacuum hose. Check valve in this chain.

Switch to relay and tank.
2- six foot 5/32 vacuum hoses.
Connect one from switch to vacuum relay switch(only 5/32 connection).
Connect one to tee setup that will connect to tee connected to the middle connection point on the vacuum relay. (Ref point A below) Leave this one for now and come back to this when it’s the only connection points left.

Many thanks to my wife for doing the knuckle bleeder connections to the light switch connectors under the dash. She had it connected in about 5 minutes, what I attempted to do 3 different times and a lot of frustrating unproductive time.

Vacuum relay switch to tanks.
Hose needed – 1 bulk approx 11 foot section of 5/16 vacuum hose. 1 bulk approx 16 foot section of 3/16 vacuum hose. Two tees- 3/16-3/16-5/16. Measure and cut appropriately from the Main tank, relay switch, and actuators. I connected the 3/16 to the actuators first and tee’ed off under the hood latch area.
Connections.
Rear of actuators, driver and passenger side, to tee (3/16)- Out (5/16) to the lower of the three connection points on the vacuum relay switch.
Front of actuators, driver and passenger side, to tee (3/16) – Out (5/16) to the upper of the three connection points on the vacuum relay switch.

Lastly – From the main tank in the engine area – Cut a small (foot or less) Section of 5/16 hose. This will connect to a tee (5/16-5/16-5/32 (Ref point A) Cut another (foot or less) section of 5/16 hose and connect to this tee. This 5/16 will connect to the middle connector point on the vacuum relay switch. Lastly bring in the 5/32 hose coming from the light switch area (Ref point A)

I hope this makes sense and helps anyone trying to restore this system. Note, as we speak, my vacuum relay switch replacement is on order from classic industries. I broke the middle connection point when attemping to remove the old hose. Be careful, the old parts are very brittle. I was able to get the system working before I broke this. If I am wrong on this I will correct when I get the switch. But I am pretty sure the above is a good working diagram and estimated lengths of “home made” hose with little to spare.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just finished installing two new actuator tanks on the vacuum headlight system. (68rs). I noticed that the passenger side door doesnt close by about 1/4 inch all the way. When i do it by hand it pulls some slop from the rear connection point that attaches to the frame. I was wondering what other adjustments can be made so the door pushes closed all the way?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts