Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive decided to take my whole dash out. I see the courtesy light bracket, the speedometer warning bracket in the way of the light switch. My guess is I unscrew the bracket to the speed warning knob and that whole thing comes out with the dash. The light bracket isnt a problem I suppose either. For the rs light switch, I had advice to cut the hoses at about a foot and mark them. That sound like a good idea. Does anyone know how many wires or connectors are on the light switch? I cant see it well. Do I just yank off any connectors? Is it easy to get at to remove? One more thing. I noticed the speedometer cable has a clip on it. It looks odd. Does anyone have any tips on getting it off. I dont want to break it and never saw one like that before. I never took a dash off before, but I did get the pad off ok . If anyone knows about the little studs that screw into the dash pad to hold it in (They have the nuts on them you have to take off from inside), well, all of mine turned with the nut then stripped and turned in the plastic, so I had to use needle nose vice grips to hold the tip while i turned them with a tiny wrench. It took about an hour to do all of them. I am praying that was the worst part of this job lol

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
rob the light switch on the RS has the plastic plug with the wires going to it, that unplugs easily. There is a spring loaded button on the bottom of the switch under the dash that you need to push up to pull out the light knob and shaft. Then the thin nut on the dash comes off to release the switch to remove it. Ive suggested that after the switch is removed and found to be in proper working order, then glue or tie strap the vac hoses onto the switch, marking them with tape as 'front' or 'back' hose bib, then after you install the switch someday, those hoses are easier to work with above the emergency brake and they wont slip off the hose bibs again. I dont have the speed minder so not sure how that works to remove it. The speedo clip should just slide off, I dont think there is a bolt or screw, just spring pressure holding it against the back of the speedo.
Hope that helps. Here is what your switch looks like.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Firstrs:

I removed my dash last year and I only recall one connector to the light switch, pulse the two vacuum lines. The best way to get the switch out is to feel around on the switch and you will find a little spring loaded pen that you push in then pull the light switch knob and shaft out as a unit (this can be tricky so take your time and don’t get frustrated). After that remove the nut that holds the switch and bezel on the dash. Once you get this done the worst will be over. SUGGESTION – Remove the driver seat and lay you some padding down so you can work comfortably on you back, It is well worth the effort. I would also recommend you remove the entire steering column as well, it just helps to reduce the pissed off factor a lot. Also during reinstallation connect teh vacume lines to the light switch and test for operation befor installing. If these vacume lines are reversed you will hear a large vacume leak coming from them. I have removed this switch without taking anything else out of the dash but it is a real female dog. Good luck!! :thumbsup: :yes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts