Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried running a 67 RS headlamp system in a 68 Camaro? Thought it might be better & more reliable than a 68 system. Anyone ever attempted this & if so what parts would be needed?

·
Retired
26,665 Posts
the factory went to the '68 & '69 system because the '67 didn't work very well... The expense of changing over would be high...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a 67 RS/SS Camaro, I put everything new in my system, it works great I;m using the motors from Retro Electric, Mark has some great info in his site, just do a search on the 67 RS Lights & you will find the info to get to this site.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am getting ready to redo the hole system on my 67 RS. The last 68 rs I had, I rebuilt the hole vacuum system, and a week or two later one of the
actuator vacuum canister went bad. I will let you know how it gose.
Pat

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The problem with the 67 system was that the GM electric motors had gears made of nylon and they wore quickly and would fail when the doors were blocked by snow or ice. That is the reason for going to the vacum system.

However today there are superior design electric motor atuactors available as johnnyr explained.

The more difficult problem when converting a 68RS to 67RS system is you'd better understand basic electricity and be good with automotive wiring. The reason being is you'll need to use a 67RS front wiring harness and the firewall feed through block terminals are indexed differently than the 68RS firewall block. Only a few wires are different. You may be able to remove the wires and reclock them I don't know. I also don't know if the firewall block is physically different on a 67, I have never owned a 67. If it is different you can probably make your own harness out of a 68 harness by selecting and adding the correct gage wiring, modifying it to add the 67 headlight circuit,if you are skilled at that sort of thing. It would not be hard to do for me. I considered it at one point on a 68RS that had 67 doors put in the grill. But you'll need the entire system for a 67 including the limit switches, the relays and diode including the mounting panel and of course the headlight switch.

But like DJD said, it'll be a lot of work and prety expensive. I'd just stick with the 68 system.

[ 09-13-2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: SY1 ]

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've had a 68 rs & now a 67 rs. I think the 67 system is better. I tried (& had to) hassle with the 68 vacuum system for years. At one point I had basically all new parts & the thing still wouldn't work like new. The wiring on the 67 can pretty complex (to me) but once you get the thing working, it works like new.

·
Registered
123 Posts
SY1, you don't need a new headlight switch: since everything is electrical, the switch is even the same as on the standard Camaro on the '67. What you do need is the '67 bellcrank: it is different on the '67 and actually cheaper 'cause it is simpler than on the '68 bellcrank assembly.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
You gotta set the open/closed actuating micro-switches just right or the doors will screw the motors up on a '67!!

How do I know??

pdq67

PS., mine have been unplugged for longer then I can remember and I have just left them open.. I think the ice got them years ago..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts