Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pull my intake and reseal, as the rubber front and rear ones extruded. I have seen suggestions on using just RTV on the end seals, and not to use the rubber ones. If I decide to use RTV, how long do I let it setup? I am also trying to cure coolant leaking up the "manifold to head" threads and pooling on the intake manifold. A pressure test last night validated the source, up the threads and around the bolt. It does not do this near the water outlets, but my guess is that is creeps up the bolt threads from the threaded hole in the head, which likely is open to the coolant passage. I'll use a different sealant there.

So 2 questions...

1. RTV cure time?
2. Coolant leaking up threads to pool on manifold...seen this before??

OH, and Happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I use black RTV on both the front and the rear. I also put a dab on the bolt threads. This stops oil from creeping up the threads. I let the RTV on the ends of the block sit up for about 15 minutes. You might want to check your intake to make sure its not warped though. Never had any coolant come up the intake bolts. Thermostat housing, yes, but not the intake.

·
20,110 Posts
RTV front and rear....never had any luck with rubber seals that come in the gasket kit.

·
Super Moderator
32,894 Posts
Clean block and manifold with either lacquer thinner, alcohol, or BraKleen®. then lay a 1/4 inch bead across, set maniufold in place, torque down in sequence, and let dry overnight.
Next morning, trim squished out RTV with Xacto knife.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Do you also recommend any "smear" of sealer around the intake holes before laying down the side (intake) gaskets? Front and back of these gaskets?

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I put a dab on the end of the intake gasket where it meets the block. None on the ports.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts