Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much says it. What’s everybody’s thoughts on rubber vs cork valve cover gaskets? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Tried both on my old I6.

Rubber is re-useable. For a project car that's a very good thing. Cork is not. The I6 is very difficult to seal and took a lot of RTV even with the rubber seals. Could never get a seal with cork.

I'd go rubber just because its a couple dollars more but works better in my opinion. Plus being able to re-use them in a pinch is nice.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
I have the fancy Fel-pro 1628, I've had them on and off a few times in the last year, no leaks so far.

I have the fab style aluminum valve covers.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looked at the Fel-Pro 1628. Looks like it’s the way to go. While we are on the subject, any thoughts on distributor gaskets?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Its all about the valve cover quality IMO. A thick rigid valve cover will distribute clamping force more evenly making a better seal vs a cheap stamped cover where the bolts dimple the cover and do not distribute evenly. The spreaders that go under the bolts are a help as well. That being said rubber is the way to go because they are reusable.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Thought not restoration correct a blue Moroso rubber valve cover is softer for a better seal and it has a steel core with stand offs at the bolt holes to prevent bending up a stamped steel valve cover the source of most oil leaks) if you over tighten the screw.

Big Dave.

·
Registered
951 Posts
On a big block' it is all about how flat the covers are, I have tried everything and the Fel-Pro good one seems to be the best when you need to lash valves a few times a year

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Thought not restoration correct a blue Moroso rubber valve cover is softer for a better seal and it has a steel core with stand offs at the bolt holes to prevent bending up a stamped steel valve cover the source of most oil leaks) if you over tighten the screw.

Big Dave.
X2. I've had mine off and on multiple times and never a leak, bolt sleeves are great. The only way to go unless you're doing a 100 point restoration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts