Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 coupe. I am installing air ride suspension and need to run 12V to the trunk. I am wondering what the best route would be to run the power. Also what is the best place to get power. I was thinking the junction post next to the battery. Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Best place to get the power would be a screw terminal on the horn relay. Put a fuse in the line right there, run back with the main harness, sneek thru the speedo cable grommet, behind the kick panel, and thru the wiring channel along the rocker and back right with the stock rear harness.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Since it is an auto car, a hole with grommet through the firewall clutch rod cover is also an easy pass through.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
How much current are we talking about here. If it's more than 20 amps or so, I'd recommend running a power and ground wire directly to the battery. You can get brass side-post screws that provide a signifcant tie point for power. Be sure to fuse the power lead at a minimum. You can get some pretty heafty tab style fuses (60A or so) to prevent a meltdown. Put the fuse in a weather tight rubber housing close to the battery. It's not a bad idea to fuse the ground as well. It will help prevent an accidental fire if your main ground should ever come loose and the new ground attempt to carry the starter load.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
How much current are we talking about here. If it's more than 20 amps or so, I'd recommend running a power and ground wire directly to the battery. You can get brass side-post screws that provide a signifcant tie point for power. Be sure to fuse the power lead at a minimum. You can get some pretty heafty tab style fuses (60A or so) to prevent a meltdown. Put the fuse in a weather tight rubber housing close to the battery. It's not a bad idea to fuse the ground as well. It will help prevent an accidental fire if your main ground should ever come loose and the new ground attempt to carry the starter load.
Dnult's prob got the best reply yet...if it's a considerable load, do directly to the batt post... but make sure that you have a cable heavy enough to carry the load that distance, or you'll regret it!

cap68

1 - 5 of 5 Posts