Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Bought a crate motor about a year ago for my project car. The car always seems to be a work in progress and I'm learning as I go and doing the work myself, but the one thing that continues to elude me is timing/carb tuning. I'm assuming it's running rich because the whole "eye-burning" form unspent fuel in the air. Also the residual fumes in my clothing after a drive. It seems to run just fine but I'm not EXACTLY sure how to dial it in. Any help?

I should mention it's a Holley 750 manual choke. I'm in LA, so the elevation is between 0-500ft. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Hey guys. Bought a crate motor about a year ago for my project car. The car always seems to be a work in progress and I'm learning as I go and doing the work myself, but the one thing that continues to elude me is timing/carb tuning. I'm assuming it's running rich because the whole "eye-burning" form unspent fuel in the air. Also the residual fumes in my clothing after a drive. It seems to run just fine but I'm not EXACTLY sure how to dial it in. Any help?

I should mention it's a Holley 750 manual choke. I'm in LA, so the elevation is between 0-500ft. Thanks again.
#1 Set your floats. With the car not running, remove the sight plugs on the passenger side of your float bowls. Be ready with a shop towel for fuel to flow out. Let it if it does. After it stops if it does, rock the car back and forth a little to let more fuel come out. Then follow the steps to lower your floats which consists of re-installing the sight plugs, loosening the adjustment nut on top of the bowl. Then hold the screw with a flat head while turning the adjustment nut a little at a time. Start the car or turn it over for 10 seconds. Shut it down and re-check the level. Keep repeating until you get it to the point where the fuel is at the bottom of the sight plug threads.
#2 Get a vacuum gauge and hook it to where your vacuum advance connects to your carb. Adjust your idle screws on the float bowl until you get them to max vacuum. Adjust the drivers side, then match the same number of turns to the passenger side etc.
#3 If it's still a problem, you might need to go down a jet size in front.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts