Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just acquired a 69 with some bad rust, the rear of both leaf springs are through the trunk pan. Any advise on where to start with this repair and what order to do them

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
If the leaf springs are poking through the trunk floor, that tells me two things immediately...

replace the frame rails
replace the trunk floor

...actually -- three things: post LOTS of PICS so we can help you further.:yes: because chances are if those pieces/panels are that far gone, you'll be replacing a few more things as well... for example... the cross rail, possibly the tail light panel, trunk drop offs, quarters, etc... Post up some pics via photobucket or similar... help is here! :beers:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
As Todd said, figure out what else needs to be replaced, and that will dictate what to do first. Depending on how bad the frame rails and trunk are, you may have already lost some key reference points for putting everything back together properly, so you'll need to take tons of measurements to make sure you get everything aligned.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Either run away from this project or go all in and get a plasma cutter, mig welder, build a jig, become friends a sheetmetal supplier....Sounds like you need to assess the whole car first. Based on my personal experience with my POS 69, the major holes lead to other problems to solve so you need to determine if it's really worth it or not. In reality, unless it's rare option Camaro like a BB, Z, etc it's only worth doing if its because you want to actually weld sheetmetal and do that type of restoration work, not because you will get your money back out of it. You won't. So what do you value more, the journey or a completed car. Let that be your first decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts