Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wondering if it is possible to put a 2002 S10 power steering box into a 69 Camaro. Right now I have the original manual steering but I'm taking the car in a pro touring direction and need fast ratio power steering. What all would I need to convert the car to power steering? I'm pretty sure I have to change the pitman arm for a powersteering 69 camaro one, correct?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Just from reading threads on here I know the popular conversion is an Ircoc gear box and yes, you will have to change the pitman arm.

Eventually I would like to go to rack and pinion steering but that conversion is not cheap either.

·
Registered
781 Posts
From all the research and discussions I've had, this is the best box you can buy for the $$$, This is what I'm going with for my Pro Touring car

http://scandc.com/new/node/246

Talk to Mark, he's written books on this stuff and is GREAT to deal with.

Steve

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Get a 82 IROC steering box from Autozone for $116. and the Lee fittings for the hoses. Your good to go on a budget. I also installed a smaller Vette steering tilt wheel. Got the new repo leather 3 spoke wheel on line for $76, and the tilt from a Chevelle for $75. Built my 69 RS/SS BB (from a suberban) 4 speed (from a 78 TA) Black on white on a budget of less than $20k and have won first place every time as well as BIS, paint and engine. I bought a pristine bodied car to begin no junk. . . .costs more in the long run. . . .just an old guy talkin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, and yea I am on a bit of a budget so the IROC box looks like the best bet right now. I already have the original tilt and an ss wheel and everything so I'm pretty much set there. Found an IROC box on eBay for a deal, just rebuilt with high speed gears so I'll probably end up buying that. Should be better than the sloppy manual box on it with 150xxx miles...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and just to be clear, if I bought a 2.5 turn 1990 iroc box is it a "bolt on" or will I need to change the rag joint or hose fittings?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
you need to change the rag joint, get the PS line adapters, and get a PS Pitman arm for a Camaro or Nova.
also be prepared to take the driver's side header out and ding a tube or 2 depending on how the motor mounts place the engine relative to the steering box and which brand of headers you have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so it looks like I'm gonna end up going with the cardone 6550 box, this is the quick ratio box correct? I have no power steering parts on my car so I was wondering if there is a late model camaro pump I could buy so I don't need to change the valve or fittings. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just completed this conversion on mine, although I had power to begin with. You need the 27-6550 box, gm coupler 7818568 or dorman 31011, and the fittings from Lees manufacturing 40630 and 40620 (or if you wanted to use AN fittings these work; 6AN to 16X1.5 inverted flare w/o-ring, and 8AN to 18X1.5 inverted flare w/ o-ring). As far as the manual to power swap, Moog K6582 is the # for the long pitman arm. You will obviously need a pump and resevoir, lines, and I would think about throwing a power steering cooler in the mix as well.

Here is a link to some info on it
http://69camaro.nextmill.net/steering.html

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just completed this conversion on mine, although I had power to begin with. You need the 27-6550 box, gm coupler 7818568 or dorman 31011, and the fittings from Lees manufacturing 40630 and 40620 (or if you wanted to use AN fittings these work; 6AN to 16X1.5 inverted flare w/o-ring, and 8AN to 18X1.5 inverted flare w/ o-ring). As far as the manual to power swap, Moog K6582 is the # for the long pitman arm. You will obviously need a pump and resevoir, lines, and I would think about throwing a power steering cooler in the mix as well.

Here is a link to some info on it
http://69camaro.nextmill.net/steering.html
is the cardone 27-6550 box a 12:7:1 quick ratio?

if so, youd need then, (already have existing power steering)

cardone 27-6550 steering box ($116 at advance auto)
dorman 31011 coupler ($47.97 at summit)
Lees manufacturing fittings 40630 and 40620 (no idea on cost, I'd need to call them)

am I missing anything? that all just bolts right up, right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thats the box, 2.5 turns lock to lock.

I dont have any experience on the lees fittings so dont quote me on it, (I used all AN fittings and hose on mine.) From what I have read they convert your stock PS lines to the IROC box.

Thats all you need, it all just bolts right up.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thats the box, 2.5 turns lock to lock.

I dont have any experience on the lees fittings so dont quote me on it, (I used all AN fittings and hose on mine.) From what I have read they convert your stock PS lines to the IROC box.

Thats all you need, it all just bolts right up.
great, thanks man!!

I called Lee's manufacturing today....they sell a "kit" to use with this steering box

comes with there fittings, and the coupler for $78 shipped.....so total for quick ratio steering is looking like $78+$116=$194. Now that's more like it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
.so total for quick ratio steering is looking like $78+$116=$194. Now that's more like it!:thumbsup:
You'll need to add pump, pump brackets and hoses also. The pump can be a bit problematic - the auto parts reman units usually have a female fitting for pressure out vs the 1st gen normal male pressure out. There is an adapter fitting you can use there or a certain 70's Nova also works with the female fitting I think. The other problem with the reman pumps is that the reservoir usually has the return fittiing pointing in exactly the wrong direction.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You'll need to add pump, pump brackets and hoses also. The pump can be a bit problematic - the auto parts reman units usually have a female fitting for pressure out vs the 1st gen normal male pressure out. There is an adapter fitting you can use there or a certain 70's Nova also works with the female fitting I think. The other problem with the reman pumps is that the reservoir usually has the return fittiing pointing in exactly the wrong direction.
I've already got power steering so I have the pump, brackets and hoses already

1 - 18 of 18 Posts