Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever started an engine out of the car?

I want to run my 327 for a bit. It's on an engine cradle and has radiator, exhaust, ... mounted on. Also has a fuel line going to a 20 gal gas can.

My question is... How do I start / kill it, SAFELY???

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
It will just be a matter of installing a switch between the distributor wire, and the negative terminal on the coil, for the run-off function.
Put another switch in a wire from the battery to the switch terminal on the solinoid for the cranking function.

You'll also need a wire from the ignition terminal on the solinoid to the positive side of the coil.

[This message has been edited by Kyvox (edited 02-11-2002).]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good point about "safely".On a rigid stand I'd worry about engine rocking as it revs up from starting.Don't know how sturdy your stand is.I use to work on boats some years ago and we always started the engines up outside the boat swinging from a chain before we put them in making sure of no leaks and such.The chain would absorb the movement that would have otherwise been transferred to a rigid stand.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've got a 500 C.I. Caddy motor sitting on a table in my backyard.True story.I bought it out of a junkyard probably 6-7 years ago now.It was for a hot rod project that has since been sold.
I had no garage at the time,so I built a table the same height as the bed of my truck(it's a very strong table)and slid the motor out of the truck onto the table.
Every now and then,I take the cover off,hook up a battery and fuel can and fire the thing off!The neighborhood kids get quite a kick out of it(and so do I!).I run it until smoke starts to show out of the thermostat housing then shut it off and cover it back up.
It's never gone anywhere,it moves around a little but never a problem.The biggest problem I have is keeping the mice out of it!!Good luck.

------------------
HDZ/28

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input!

The stand I have is Jeg's Part #550-1020
Do you think that will do the trick???

BTW:
Pete, that must be one heck of a show! ;)

Regards,
Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts