Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Carl,

Have you thought about having your stock seat belts restored?

I sent mine off a month or so ago to Snake Oyl. I specified modern webbing material for additional safety since my car is a rod rather than a resto. Its kind of expensive though - about $400 for all 8 pieces (lap & shoulder belts)

They redo them to look brand new. I got rear belts last month and they look great.

Our cars are similar and I have thought about a rollcage too. I'm still not really sure I want to do that to the interior though. It makes the rear seat practically unuseable.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

·
Registered
93 Posts
I to have been toying with this idea for some time. Even though my seatbelts are fine when I go for a serious ride I find the lapbelt to lack in keeping me square in the seat. In my last Summit catalog they have the Simpson and RCI five point. In the description it says under both "Roll bar, wrap around, and floor mounting". I am curious as to where the shoulder harnesses bolt to? I have been kind of busy so I havent been able to call so if anyone finds out I'd be interested to know.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rewebbing is one option, but I do not have a shoulder belt. I was watching the history of automotive safety on the History Channel a while back and they had a picture of a person that had their face peeled back like an orange from a steering wheel impact. I'm ugly enough already without this happening. There is nothing like the security of a multi-point harness.

I talked to Deist at the SEMA show, and they had two options. The first is to install a removeable bar that attaches to the rear seat side panel. The bar would have a plate on each end with a corresponding attachment on each side panel. This would be great except you have to cut the side panel and weld in the necessary supporting structure, but you could minimize the appearance by making a nice cover plate when the bar is not in use. The second method they suggested is to use two long shoulder straps that attach to the rear seat belt attachments. The belts would cross behind the front seat to provide side-to-side support. Deist said that either of these methods is acceptable. Bolting to the floor was not an option since it would not have side-to-side support. I also remeber reading in a magazine not too long ago about a featured f-body out of Florida that had floor mounted shoulder harnesses. The magazined stated that in this configuration you could break your shoulder. One major drawback to harnesses is that your arm reach is limited so reaching radio/heater controls may be difficult.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Showing my ingorance of other year models...

Were shoulder belts an option in 68? If so, you may have the bolt holes hidden under your headliner. Have you looked to see if they are there?

Snake Oyl sells complete seat belt assemblies (my mom threw out my rear belts many years ago and it cost me $225 to have them replaced). Shoulder belts would probably be a little more.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

·
Registered
93 Posts
I forgot to mention that the harness I saw also has the Y shoulder belt option which eliminates the need to cross over behind the seat for side to side support.

I also thought about reach, but I think that under normal driving conditions I would personally only use the lap belt. Besides I dont think Ive ever used my heater here, other than to help with overheating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts