Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved St. Louis, I almost have my car ready for its safety inspection so I can get plates for it. I have never had a safety inspection done on a car before. What type of things do they look for? I basically have made sure all my lights work correctly, brakes adjusted, windshield wipers work (no fluid reservoir though).

Problems I may have:
M21 Transmission needs rebuilt (bad synchro gears).
I have lap seat belts in front seats/nothing in rear. (front shoulder harness headliner belt is installed but I do not have shoulder harness base unit)
No heater (is this required for winter driving? - not that I would, but winter here lasts a month if we are lucky otherwise its just cold).

Thanks
Tim

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I got by without having belts. Garage loved the old car. I think you can depend on having checked: horns, lights, directionals, one wheel pulled on front to check brakes, maybe exhaust system, balljoints, tierods, brake lights, backup lights, hi/low beams, rear view mirror, legal tread on tires.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had mine inspected last year at one of the emission's station. (now you have to go to the DMV) i had a young girl (25?) do mine. She checked the all the lights and did a skid pad test of the brakes. Also checked if the defroster worked it is required in Connecticut. She never opened the hood or looked under the car or in the trunk for rust? If you go to the motor vehicle dept they have a checklist they must fill out. but it all depends on who you get........

ps Mine passed on the first trip

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
They will check brakes and lights and very little else. It really depends on the shop that you take it to. Some are more picky than others. I took mine to the sme place that put on my front tires. They ooh'd and ahh'd over it more than they inspected it.

------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City

1 - 6 of 6 Posts