Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to have a '69 Z28 that wouldn't start unless you pushed in the clutch first. The '69 Z28 that I own now will start without pushing in the clutch which I know isn't correct. My seven year old son turned the key the other day and it almost went out the garage door. Luckily it didn't start and the door was open. Can someone tell me what to look/check for to correct this problem. Thanks, Donnie...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Camcojb, Thanks for the reply. I was looking in a Rick's First Generation catalog and saw a picture of the switch, and I don't remember seeing that part on my column if that's where it's mounted. It looks like it mounts maybe to the column with a rod attached that goes somewhere and a plug that's attached to something. I removed my original column and installed a tilt but it wasn't working before the change. Donnie...

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
It mounts to the coumn tunnel (same piece the clutch/brake pedal is mounted to) They are not reproduced. A small linkage connects the switch to the clutch pedal arm. Linkage is available, but the switch is generally not. I got mine from an obsolete electrical parts supply house in Minneapolis. I paid 45 plus ship. Just looked for his number, but couldn't find it.
There's a guy in Chattanooga who has one, but he cut the connector off, so you'd have to get a new connector or just splice it in. He had it 6 months ago, and wanted 50 bucks. If you want it, I can hook you up, or if you want, I can pick it up for you and mail it to you. email me @ [email protected], if interested.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The clutch safety switch (P/N 1993494) and its linkage & wiring is shown in the A.I.M. in UPC 6, Sheet B-10. Junkyards are the only source for this switch and linkage, as nobody yet reproduces it - most have probably been picked clean already, considering the price they bring these days. It interrupts the (purple) solenoid circuit to the starter, yours must be jumpered. You could use a separate toggle switch wired into the same circuit attached at the bottom of the cluster for safety - would also serve as an anti-theft "kill switch".

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
255 Posts
Anyone know what size screw/bolt is used to fasten the switch to the pedal housing? I have my switch, but the screw is "missing".

-Marc

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked in my assembly manual and found where the switch is supposed to be mounted but of course it was missing. Does anyone know what the wire from the switch is plugged into on top of the column. What I can't figure out is when someone removed it from my car what did they do with the wire that the switch was plugged into and how did they bypass it where it could start. Does anyone know where the wires come from that attached to the wire from the switch. Thanks for all your help, Donnie...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally found the problem. I traced the wires down and found out that someone had cut the wires that were attached to the switch and tied them together to make it hot where it would start all the time without the clutch pushed in. When I replace the switch and get it hooked up I believe I will be back in business. Thanks for everyone's help and time. Donnie...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts