Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new sail panels from Classic Camaro for my '69. They don't have the slots in the cardboard for the mounting clips????? Anybody know how I'm supposed to attach the clips?

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just bought OER sails also and they have no holes either. I was lucky because I have my parts supplier nearby at Firewheel Classics. They had an option to buy a covered sail panel which had the holes in it. They let me use it to measure where the holes were. Word of caution--the panels with coveres had extra backing glued to them that had the holes in them--the holes didn't go through the panel. I am going to use 1/8 inch backing behind the fabric on my 67 so the fasteners won't show through.

Lance

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea - thanks! I have the old panels with clips. I will probably just trim them down a bit and glue the cardboard section to the back of the new panels.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got around to installing my sail panels. I peeled off the cardboard reinforcement pieces - with the holes and mounting clips - from the old panels and located them on the new panels in the same positions. Then I glued them in place and installed my panels.

Of course, this was the moment I remembered that the reinforcements and clips really were poorly located in teh first place and the panels had to be tweaked to fit right!

Next time around I think there may be a better approach. I could take the cardboard reinforcement pieces w/clips and insert them into the holes in the car and get them located correctly for the best fit. Then, apply contact cement to the back of the panel and the reinforcement pieces, set the panel in the correct place and press to make contact and glue it in place. Now - if I can only remember this idea when I need it again!

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The last headliner I did came with velcro strips for the sail panels, it worked great!

------------------
Geezer

·
Registered
955 Posts
I just put a set of sail panels in the wife's 69. The cardboard back had the holes perforated. You had to look close to see them and then gently remove them with a small screwdriver. I did have to peel the vinyl back in a couple of spots to find the perforations. I like the note behind the sail panel trick.

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts