Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I was thinking of buying one of the 50lb. or 100lb. Craftsman Sandblasters from Sears. I couldn't tell from their website whether I need a compressor to run one or if they are self-driven. I don't want to go all they way to Sears if I need a compressor to go with it. (I don't own a compressor yet)

Does anyone know? I read a message here last week from someone that said they bought one but he didn't say how it gets it's pneumatic power.

------------------
Joe
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
You'll need a lot more than a 1-hp compressor to run a blast cabinet; most cabinets require 7-8 cfm @ 80-90 psi. You buy a compressor by cfm and pressure specs, not horsepower. If you don't buy enough compressor, it will run all the time and won't supply adequate pressure, which gets very frustrating. Look at the specs on the blast cabinet for "air requirements", and then go after a suitable compressor that meets or exceeds those specs.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
21 Posts
i was also having a problem about a sand blaster i have a phefone feed one i bought for $20 but when i first got it it worked all right but then istarted to suck the big one i have a 5 hp compresser i was wondering if i bought a presser feed 80lb compasity if it would be good enough

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah,gotta have air.depending on what you are going to blast, i would suggest getting a blasting cabinet,1)it cuts down on the mess[none]2)its a lot easier to blast those smaller parts3) you dont need as much blasting material[sand,glassbeads,etc.]i used to blast stuff with s syphone style deal and thought it was great untill i got a cabinet,besides,with a cabinet you can blast inside when it rains!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Speaking of blasters - does any company make a small cabinet-free hand held unit that you can use to spot clean small areas on a car?

·
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JohnZ,
I hear ya... it was a typo. The blaster I bought requires at least 4.7CFM @ 40psi or more. No biggy... that's easy.
Seeing as how there's 2 feet of snow on the ground, I ain't goin' outside to blast anything except maybe ice off the windows. Most of what I need to clean is small.... small enough to put in a cabinet. Now, due to a serious lack of funds and my impatience, I'm just gonna build one. I already have the materials. Make-shift, but it'll work.

------------------
Joe
[email protected]

·
Registered
212 Posts
I recently purchased Eastwoods bench top Blast Cabinet, all I can say is it's allowed me to do some outstanding quality blasting in minimal time, It's large enought to blast nearly anything one would want to. I have done 16" rims in it. Quality wise I searched all over and found this one to be the best. It's excellent in operation and appearance, as for cost about $400 buck with a few options. Well worth the investment..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts