Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things I have been working on is making a sandblasting enclosure in the garage. Here is a pic. I still need to set up an exhaust fan, so I just go in there for a little bit.

I have been doing small parts so far. Here is one I have been playing with. I blasted the one on the left, put some cold galvanizing on it, but it did not look right. Then I tried Rustoleum's hammered finish. Looks interesting! Not sure how it will hold up to heat. But it was just a little test :)

Also been working in the basement setting up a drip rack :) blasted the bumper brackets for both cars, etch prime and rustoleums satin black. Foam brush and let them drip. Almost like factory :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I made a big mess at home, I found that doing it outside was alot less clean up. I used the sand to fill low spots in the yard...Crash

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Am I going to have to send you a respirator? Anything with a HEPA filter... beats getting silicosis.

·
Registered
827 Posts
you should have fresh air vented to you when ever sandblasting, but that just what i think. my family want me around a little longer silicosis is a bad way to go.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
On a smaller scale,My always listening wife,God love her,tuned into me saying I wanted a bead-blasting cabinet...she got me one from Habor Freight for Christmas...been life changing is all I can say

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ditto , on the blast cabinet. Makes life alot more pleasant. Only about $200.00 and alot less mess. Large items get taken outside. (wait for better weather if it is raining or cold) :yes:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Kev, I HOPE you have a good mask, and arent talkin about a cheap lil dust mask. Im like Trax, I cant imagine doing it without a cabinet. Id suggest building a cabinet if you have many parts to blast, Kev :thumbsup: I built mine before I ever started disassembly and its been a lifesaver.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Kevin, you have a pretty good setup going there, nice job.

I sand blast in my garage once in a while, have a home made paint room that I do it in. Also do some bead blasting, have some pictures of some of it on my web site. I tape off the lights and such with plastic, and pretty much go for it.

I do use supplied air, also be carefull around those beadblasters, they will leak a lot.

Rob

·
Registered
873 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
On a smaller scale,My always listening wife,God love her,tuned into me saying I wanted a bead-blasting cabinet...she got me one from Habor Freight for Christmas...been life changing is all I can say
I have been looking at one of theirs for a couple weeks now too. Item number 47603-1VGA. It is an internet only order item and that just bugs me. Why can't they ship to my local store with a normal stock delivery and save me the $62.00 freight. I probably will end up ordering it, but I have to wait till I'm back from SC.

Kev, I HOPE you have a good mask, and arent talkin about a cheap lil dust mask.
Guys, thanks for the advice! I have a glass beading cabinet with a vac, but there are some parts that the beading wont get or wont fit in the cab.
Kevin, what you are doing with the restoration is way cool !!! I like the idea of a complete hands on project myself and applaude how you have done this. :hurray:

I DO agree with the others that have expressed concern for your health. Please get a HEPA dust mask for future use, because what you can't see really can kill you.

·
Registered
827 Posts
take large parts to a competent comercial sand blaster. he can do a better job at a price that will probably supprise you. i genarally get about $100.00 to do a sub frame. include control arms and everything else it may be $200.00. make sure to remove all grease ect. with pressure washer first as this just pushes around and take more time to remove. remember time is money. i blast all year round outside, except when it is raining or snowing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
take large parts to a competent comercial sand blaster. he can do a better job at a price that will probably supprise you. i genarally get about $100.00 to do a sub frame. include control arms and everything else it may be $200.00. make sure to remove all grease ect. with pressure washer first as this just pushes around and take more time to remove. remember time is money. i blast all year round outside, except when it is raining or snowing.

Do you have a blasting shop or are you mobile?

·
Registered
827 Posts
i have a resto shop in eastern south dakota, near sioux falls, dell rapids to be exact. media blasting as well as sandblasting services avaliable on site.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts