Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clutch started squealing but my the AC still cools ok. anyone know if it's easy enough to replace the clutch in a Sanden 508? are any special tools required?

or should i replace w/ a new compressor and dryer? it's polished so i'm thinking a new sanden is going to cost.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I just went thru a new install with serpentine belt setup and it squealed first time I charged it. I thought the belt was fine but noticed when you started the A/C the belt was slipping and flapping. Ended up the belt was loose and I had to install a shorter belt.

Make sure it is not your belt. Start the car and watch the belt when the compressor is started.

Summit Racing sells the polished pumps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mike - not the belt, def the clutch. with the belt off & spinning the pully it drags & makes noise. when engaged it's wickedly noisy.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
How old is the compressor? I would just replace the clutch. You can get it from Vintage Air. Call them and they should be able to tell you whats tools are required.

You will have to have a special tool to remove the clutch and install it. The auto supply houses might rent them. I have replaced them on factory compressors. In the middle of the compressor clutch on factory ones it is threaded on the clutch. That is where the tool attaches to remove it. Look at your compressor to see if it is threaded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts