Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased the car in March 2014 after wanting one since I was 5. I planned on just driving it, but it was a basket case and needed a full-blown restoration. The engine was shot and like ALL non-restored, un-garaged cars, there was rust in the inner cowl and dash, and floor pan, along with patches.

I just dropped the subframe yesterday. I will tear down, grind, paint, and put it back together again. I posted some steering/suspension related questions in another thread--please provide any helpful guidance. I'm putting the car on a rotisserie/subframe jig in the coming weeks to start cutting on her.

The interior survived, so the only thing I'll replace is the carpet.

The body is another story. I will replace the floor pan, firewall, inner cowl, trunk pan, quarters, fenders, door skins, wheel houses (mini tubs), rear pan, etc. It's great to have a brother that's a professional body tech to do all of this, although it will go slow (the painters house always looks the worst), don't mark your calendars.

Drive train: newly built 350 (fogged in storage), and will add a 700R4, will stick with the Ford 9". I will add disc brakes to the drum brakes on there now, eventually. I "thought" I would drive the car after I bought the engine, but it wasn't worth it, so like all people with an elusive 69 Camaro dream, we started tearing it down.

Cooling: either stock replacement radiator or aluminum and add a trans cooler.

Rear suspension: will go with a 4-link, w/ coil overs. I haven't decided on a brand yet. Will go with a weld-in set. DSE seems to be the best out there, but pricey. With the mini tubs, I will tuck 18X10s, and 17X8s in the front.

My goal with the car is to have a street car that drives and handles better than she would've in 1969. Not looking to race the car, but I figured making suspension upgrades would go farther than trying to drop an LSX with 600 HP. I'm on a modest, but flexible budget, not looking to cut corners, but I want to get the best value out of what I buy.

If anyone wants to comment with their recommendations, please do. Thanks!

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Charles - she looks like she is in great hands. We will look forward to your updates no matter how small.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian, Thanks! I'm going to need a lot of advice along the way. In your humble opinion, where is the best place to go for body panels?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Depends on how deep your pockets are. I think most people like original GM first if and when you can find them, but they fetch top dollar but fit with the least amount of fusing.

GM's Restoration part program lists the following licensed vendors for body parts:
AMD - Auto Metal Direct inc.
Dynacorn International
Golden Star Corporation
Mar-K Specialized Manufacturing
Tri Plus

AMD's are available all over the place and the quality is generally high and fit is rated good most of the time. Dynacorn replacement panels are also rated high in quality and good for fit.

Poke around the body forum and then poke a few dealers in your area to save on the shipping which sometimes is more than the part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts