Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help... Last weekend I dropped my SB400 into my 68. The car has a new sub-frame that had motor mount brackets already on it. I lowered the motor in place and put one of the bolts through. When I looked at the other side, it was over an inch away!! The motor seems to be sitting too low, therefore the bolt holes are also too far apart. I measured from the frame to the bolt and it was less that 2 inches. I then went and measured my fathers 68 SB car and his seemed to be about half an inch higher. So I ordered new mount brackets. I have them here on my desk this morning and I think they measure about the same as what I have!!

What is going on? I have new motor mounts on the block (they look the same as dads). I thought the frame must have big block brackets, but now I'm wondering if I have screwed this up somehow.

Why is my motor too low???

Thanks
Robb

·
10,164 Posts
SS 350 and Z/28 got shorter frame brackets than the low perf engines. That was to accomadate the thicker/safer interlocking motor mounts.
I guess there weren't enough mounts for all small blocks or they had an inventory of low perf parts to get "rid" of.

If you use the thicker high perf motor mounts with your short frame mounts it should work.
I have more info on my engine page which is linked to my "first gen suspension" page below.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
BB frame brackets are shorter than small block.Maybe you have BB mounts on there.

I have an original 67 SS350 and it has the identicle frame brackets as my 67 327 car.Unless 68 is different, I found no records showing the use of a shorter frame bracket for SB SS's and Z's..

[This message has been edited by 1967 Panther (edited 03-04-2002).]

·
Super Moderator
33,481 Posts
And here I thought the shorter brackets in a BBC car were to lower the eng assembly for hood clearance and if a Z/28 option, the same mounts were to lower the engine assembly for a better center of gravity.

I have been misled!!!!

Everett

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Ah nuts, this is something I hadn't thought about yet. My 68 is at home with the 6 cyl pulled out and the frame mounts off. I have new ones in a box and the new 350 is in the shop with no mounts on it yet. I know I ordered frame mount numbers 3955183 & 3980938 so according to the chart in David's info if I get mounts 6258154 or 3990914 I should be OK right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.