Team Camaro Tech banner

Restore or Replace?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a rebuild on the 350 I pulled out of my '68. The engine is definitely from another car; the VIN suggests it rolled out of the factory as a 6 cylinder.

From what I can tell, based on all the number combinations, the engine itself hasn't been touched, other than being transplanted. It's gotta be somewhere between 79-85.

The block is in the shop. I'm planning on going .30 over replacing the crank, cam, and pistons.

At this point, is it worth restoring the heads and intake? If not, what do you guys think is a good price for the heads and intake..?

• Head Casting: 462624
  • Manifold Casting: 14057057

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, this is ultimately going back in my '68. It's going to be a "helluva nice daily driver." I'm looking for street fun, that's reliable. It won't be a track car or a trailer queen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Heads I think you can get by with if you're just wanting something to run. I would get rid of the intake... they are HEAVY compared to aluminum.

Performance wise, if you can find yourself a set of vortec heads those would be your best best for cheap performance(however you would need a vortec intake as well). They are the best SBC head that was made from the factory... Their limitation is lift and thin castings but I have seen just as many cracked "early" heads as I have late heads.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
I see those used heads on eBay for $50.

The intake, I doubt it would be worth anything unless someone is building a #s matching 1980s something vehicle.

For some budget upgrade the Vortec head and aluminum intake combo would be a good idea like 68rs76z28 posted above.

You may even find a deal on some entry level aluminum heads, taking a 100+lbs off the front of the car by changing the manifold and heads may help improve the fun factor on your daily driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll look around for an entry-level, aluminum top end kit.

Rather than spending the money at the machine shop, I'll probably off load the heads for whatever I can get and put the money towards the weight savings..

·
14,960 Posts
For the money you’re spending for parts labor and the machine shop you can buy a crate motor that makes good power with a warranty

Reactions: Everett#2390

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well, it's all in what you want really. Since it's not originality and I know a little about machine shop costs, I would agree with above comments.

In my case, I have a 68 C-20 truck that is mostly original and I wanted to keep it that way so I had the valve seals and seats done, everything else measured and replaced as needed.

I also went .30 over and had crank ground down .10 to be smooth. Replaced cam and lifters, oil, fuel and water pumps. Replaced timing set so it should be a solid reliable and slow street driving machine. Having said all that, not that anyone cares, it cost me about 2K in machine shop work and I did all the rest of the measuring etc and building myself. The machine shop did all the boring and grinding and provided pistons, cam, lifters and timing set. If you are going to do all that work, a create motor might make sense. There are some great crate motors out there for short money.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Buddy of mine built a 383 for his C 10 and struggle to find any aluminum heads around. He finally found a set of AFR and used them. Parts were tough to get. One cam company told him they had 8 sbc cores on hand. They get them from detroit and they must have been shut down

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the input, guys.

For what it's worth, it's a pet project and I like to tinker, so I'd rather piece it together myself than order a crate; otherwise that would've definitely been sound advice.

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
Those are thin cast heads and prone to crack by the two center exhaust valves. I would get a thick cast head if you want a steel head. A thick cast us better for a daily driver. Even better get a set of aluminum Corvette heads from the 89's-90's. They will look close to factory. Not all of the vette heads had center valve cover bolts. Or you could go aftermarket as others have mentioned. I would still ditch those heads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Doing a rebuild on the 350 I pulled out of my '68. The engine is definitely from another car; the VIN suggests it rolled out of the factory as a 6 cylinder.

From what I can tell, based on all the number combinations, the engine itself hasn't been touched, other than being transplanted. It's gotta be somewhere between 79-85.

The block is in the shop. I'm planning on going .30 over replacing the crank, cam, and pistons.

At this point, is it worth restoring the heads and intake? If not, what do you guys think is a good price for the heads and intake..?

Thanks!

View attachment 274745

View attachment 274746

View attachment 274747

View attachment 274748

View attachment 274749

View attachment 274750

View attachment 274751

Thanks!

View attachment 274745

View attachment 274746

View attachment 274747

View attachment 274748

View attachment 274749

View attachment 274750

View attachment 274751
Chevy hardcore just did a great story on choosing heads. They provided 10

Thanks!

View attachment 274745

View attachment 274746

View attachment 274747

View attachment 274748

View attachment 274749

View attachment 274750

View attachment 274751
see the Chevy Hardcore column just pipublished regarding Heads and 10 tips for choosing them. 10 Tips For Buying New Cylinder Heads, Hot-Rodded Second-Gen Camaro, Get An All-New LS3 Long Block. All This And So Much More At ChevyHardcore.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts