Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys does a power steering pump set up(pump & resv) on a SBC & BBC have the same bracket mounting holes..?? I can pick one up at a good price just need to know if they're interchangable.
Worst case,I could swap the SB pump into the chrome BB res, they look the same.
Thanks.
Jeoff J.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
BBC power steering pump mounting brackets are different and so is the pump as the return line points out towards the frame instead of in towards the motor.

Larger Dave

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Try Alan Groves Components for good reasonably priced aftermarket P/S/P brackets if you want to.

My 496 BB has them on it now. Good value by me.

pdq67

·
Gold Lifetime Member
403 Posts
Jeoffery,

On my 68 Camaro when I changed from a small block 350 to a 396 big block, I used the old pump and reservoir, just added the BB brackets. No problems, fit fine.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Which model year? 69 is the only one that has fairly significant difference between the SB and BB pumps. The 67-68 V8 models use the same pump, SB or BB.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Jeoff -

Looked at your profile pics of your 69; if that's the car, you need the BBC pump. I don't think I have pics of my trying to fit the 69 SBC pump into the 69 BBC brackets, but the interference with the return nipple and the bracket was major, and there was no way to make it work.

I have one of the rebuilt 69 BBC units from Ricks, and it works well. I had a hard time swallowing the $200 price, when you can go to any auto parts store and get a pump for a 67-68 for less than $50, but the right pump will fit, and the others will not...

http://www.rickscamaros.com/product.asp?pf_id=PSP-33&dept_id=3493

1 - 10 of 10 Posts