Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever use there stuff ?i just bought a 383 kit 6in rods, 4340 crank ,and pistons.any quality issues youve heard of?

·
Banned
938 Posts
Anyone here ever use there stuff ?i just bought a 383 kit 6in rods, 4340 crank ,and pistons.any quality issues youve heard of?
When we have some extra time in the shop we build a few 383/s for some of our customers and we have used the 4340 cranks and the 6 inch rods with the 7/16 rod bolts and either the SRP or the Maule pistons so far they seem to better then the Eagle stuff that has come through the shop.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I used the 6", 7/16" capscrew scat rods, with thier 9000 series nod iron crank and srp forged pistons on my 383. Only issue was the rod small ends had to be honed for proper clearance for the floating pin.

·
Banned
938 Posts
I used the 6", 7/16" capscrew scat rods, with thier 9000 series nod iron crank and srp forged pistons on my 383. Only issue was the rod small ends had to be honed for proper clearance for the floating pin.
Any of the rods we buy wether they are Crower, Manley, Cariilo ETC. we have to go through both ends of the rods as they are all seem to be on the tight side and also the the pin bores in the pistons have to be clearanced as this is over looked most of the time form what we have seen.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well, it's a BB, but same diff right?

My engine builder wasn't all smiles about the rod journals on my Scat Crank. He said the guy polishing it wasn't paying attention. But we are talking .0002" out of round. Mains were good.

His experience with Eagle has been less than stellar.....the Scatt was pretty good in comparrison.

He would have preferred Crower.......

I used Manley sportsman I beam rods. He said they were spot on and required no resizing.

My guy nit picks....and I like that!

Ron

·
Banned
938 Posts
Well, it's a BB, but same diff right?

My engine builder wasn't all smiles about the rod journals on my Scat Crank. He said the guy polishing it wasn't paying attention. But we are talking .0002" out of round. Mains were good.

His experience with Eagle has been less than stellar.....the Scatt was pretty good in comparrison.

He would have preferred Crower.......

I used Manley sportsman I beam rods. He said they were spot on and required no resizing.

Ron
All the Manley rods we have ever got in the shop the pin bores and big ends have alway been just under the low side. Your lucky!!!!

·
Registered
958 Posts

Ron
My Manley Sportsmaster I-beams were spot-on as well. It's a very nice rod for the money. My Oliver forged rods were tight on the pin bore.

·
Banned
938 Posts
The problem we have aleways seen is that the .927 pins that come with the pistons seem to always be .9273 to .9275 which the pin bores in the pin end of the rod are in most cases are honed under the pow side if the pins were a true .927.

Same with thew pin bores in the pistons as most shops don't have the proper bore gauges to check the clearances and go by feel.

So far we have had to size every pin end of every rod that has come in the shop and had to hone every pin bore in all the pistons that have come through the shop.

Maybe we are getting all the junk stuff in the Northeast. LOL

·
Registered
958 Posts
The problem we have aleways seen is that the .927 pins that come with the pistons seem to always be .9273 to .9275 which the pin bores in the pin end of the rod are in most cases are honed under the pow side if the pins were a true .927.

Same with thew pin bores in the pistons as most shops don't have the proper bore gauges to check the clearances and go by feel.

So far we have had to size every pin end of every rod that has come in the shop and had to hone every pin bore in all the pistons that have come through the shop.

Maybe we are getting all the junk stuff in the Northeast. LOL

The JE pins on my current build were all .9270-.9271 and both the piston pin bore and rod small end had to be honed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what kinda clearance do you guys like to see on your pin end(pin into rod),and on your wristpin into piston pin bore?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts