Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about Scat Rotating assemblies for a 454? The motor I'm building should have between 450 - 500 H.P? Should I go with the 4340 Forged Crank or Scat Series 9000? I don't want to spend my money on overkill parts.

Thanks,
Tony

·
3,386 Posts
Tony,
At that hp level the cast steel crank and the I beam rods is all you need. Just make sure you get a decent piston. Depending on who is selling the kit they come with anything from stock type pistons to SRP's etc.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Tony,can you get your hands on a gm steel crank??..thats the way i would go,i personally like the 4340 gm steel cranks..get some good childs and albert rods and some je piston's, about a .280 dome and your good..what heads are you running??...world product makes a 315 cc steel heads the is the cats ***!! true d shaped ports!!wow!! what a combo!!..

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was planning on running Edelbrock aluminum heads (maybe 110cc) because I'm limited to the intake I can run. I have a 67 camaro with a SS hood. I can only fit an Edelbrock Performer (not RPM) or GM 163 aluminum intake. Any suggestions?

Tony

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Scat Crank will be better and cheaper than a Steel Crank after the regrinding cost. The Scat 9000 kit would work great. You can go with there premium forged which will be a Mahle, JE or SRP piston, if you want to save a few bucks there basic forged is a KB FHR and they are great quality and will fit what your doing. If you need a kit shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At the hp level you are talking about I would be using the factory crank and rods if you have them.
Even an original cast crank and 3/8" rods (with good bolts) are perfectly adequate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
450-500 HP's are not too high on the 454 normal realm. Even with a SBC 400 HP would not necessarily require an exotic forged crank, which by the way are more prone to cracking due to the stiffer material, much less a BBC. The Scat 9000 are cast steel, not cast iron, making them a good choice for budget builds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts