Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I think 135 is right at the limit of stock so go from there and guys say they are running above 150 pounds w/ holed solid lifters and GOOD cam break-in procedures.

Go over to Team Chevelle and do a search b/c some good info is there.

pdq67

·
Registered
121 Posts
68 Z/28,

I've heard good things about Shubeck's, but have not run them. Your seat pressure isn't a problem. It is the open pressure that will kill the cam, as flat cams start by shaving the nose down first. Try and find a spring that will have good seat pressure without outrageous open pressure. Look for a spring with a lower K value and only run as much open pressure as necessary (Dual springs are better in this regard). Keep the seat pressure up as it reduces valve seat bounce which kills performance. Unfortunately I learned about valve springs the hard way. I had an extra fuel pump lobe in 5000 miles from too much open pressure.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
From what I have read about them, you'll need to have your roller cam of choice heat treated to a specified Rockwell hardness. Most/all roller cams out of the box are too soft.
This is something I read in an old Drag Racing Monthly (aka Super Stock & DI) from 1999.
Maybe things are different now..?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Something like 110/280 to 125/325 or so should be fine, but like I said earlier, there are guys running 150+/350+ but not me..

CC limits their cast Magnum roller tip rockers to below 350 b/c you get into rocker arm/ball gauling at like 350 or so. But now we can buy TiC coated rockers and balls so we can run higher pressures if wanted up to a point that is.

pdq67

·
Registered
277 Posts
According to posts at Team Chevelle, Schubeck is reorganizing and product may be hard to come by. ????

Your 135 seat pressure is fine. Get EDM hole lifters for extra protection, and use a heavier weight of oil such as Shell Rotella 15-40. It will bring your pressure back up.

·
Banned
938 Posts
For right now I would stay away from the Schubeck lifters as Joe laost his money guy and owes some of his venders big money.

About 5 years ago we ran some his lifters with no problems but we ran 200 at the seat and 480 over the nose on a P-55 cores and no problems.

Liz-zard Racing Engines in CA we do some block work for there shop and Vince just lost 2 engines on the dyno when he broke Schubeck lifters in 2 eninges and ruined two blocks in the proccess.

On the flat tappet engines we built we run min. of 150 at the seat with tool steel lifters. 135 with the glass lifters will not work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Thanks for the input. After reading some of this I will not be using Schubeck lifters for now. I'm now looking to go with a EDM hole lifters any recommendations as to what brand EDM holed lifter that might be the best EDM hole lifter to go with? Such as Isky, Crower, Crane, ect. I have not had the best of luck with Competition Cams so trying to avoid them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts