Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/cisd0707.pdf

I figure this will just about kill diesels as we know them!!

We need to kick some EPA GOV *** and do like the Europeans do with respect to DIESELS, imho...

pdq67
Kill them in what way Paul? I know little about diesels other than the smell drives me nuts. I will not drive behind one any longer than I have to.

What kind of emission levels do they have now, say as compared to a gasoline engine? I've always wondered as a gas engine that spits oil out the back is going to be labeled a gross polluter, yet diesels by their very nature do this normally (and I have the windshield mess to prove it!).

I know they have a torque and gas mileage advantage, but how are they smog-wise? And what will adding these cats do (I'm guessing decrease both)?

Jody

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jody,

Our infinitely wise GOV. uses health-based standards to control air pollution whereas the Europeans use more of a common sense way w/ respect to diesel engined vehicles is all.

Every year the EPA come's right out and say's that our air is cleaner than it's been for years as they ratchet down the NAAQS!

Check their Energy Star program where industries say how much they have done to lower greenhouse gas, (i.e., CO2) by say 40 percent in the last 5 years and that they will lower it by say 60 percent more in the next 5 years!! Now, this just tell's me that GM is really closing those 17 plants here and will just do business over seas and still sell their product here for it's made here prices AND pocket the difference!!

But nobody has ever done an economic health-based study on how people's live's are shortened when they get thrown out of work, then possibly divorced after losing their home and that some die from this induced STRESS as well as from Suicide!! I know of two personally...

What are our grandkids going to do as we squander their futures is all..

Sorry, I'm ranting, I will stop.........

pdq67

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I am not a scientist but from what I understand diesel engines produce a particulate as exhaust compared to gasoline that produces gases as an exhaust. I know that diesel trucks can be "chipped" and modified to produce a lot more horse power and a heck of a lot of black smoke. The smoke is nasty but most of it will settle out of the atmosphere. Gasoline engine exhaust stays in the atmosphere to create smog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.