Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and could not find this topic. I have a new heater core. The original had a putty around the firewall side of the core to seal against the box. Is this required to be replaced? A radiator reapir guy told me that it is not needed. Any one have info on this? Thanks,

Gary

------------------
69 Lemans Blue X33

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes, it is needed, otherwise the heater box will draw in noxious fumes from the engine compartment when you run the heater. Any kind of ribbon type sealer will work, just dont use silicone.

------------------
Jim
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
I saw someone use the term "elephant snot" for it but I bought a box of 3M strips at NAPA and its great stuff. Sticky but forms well against odd shapes and keeps fumes out.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
326 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by click:
I saw someone use the term "elephant snot" for it but I bought a box of 3M strips at NAPA and its great stuff. Sticky but forms well against odd shapes and keeps fumes out.
click

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click, funny you say that! I've heard the term "monkey snot" use for this stuff before.

The 3M RTV strips should work well also. I've used them before. Permagum is very good for sealing tubes around the A/C evaporator core on the heater/A/C box. The stuff stays where you put it.

Drew

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for every one's help. I almost made mistake and followed a fool's advice and not sealed my new heater core. The advice to not reseal was from a radiator guy who has been in this town for many years.

Gary

------------------
69 Lemans Blue X33

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a kit to reseal the interior heater box. Included in the kit are seals for the flapper doors. The instructions say that two of the three doors are removable. Has anyone done that before? They look like press type fits that may not go back as original. Thanks, Gary.

------------------
69 Lemans Blue X33

1 - 8 of 8 Posts