Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
The best way to try to research the cars past is to request a title history from your state DMV. Depending on the state, you should be able to get about 20 years worth of info on previous owners. Some states will give more and some less. That can be a good starting point and then the chore is to go back to the oldest owner listed and try to go back further. With newer vehicles it is much easier because of CARFAX and other data bases that are maintained by the insurance industry. Good Luck with your quest.

------------------
There is a fine line between hobby and obsession!

69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed

·
15,374 Posts
LVCAMAROLV,

Do a search here on the forums. A lot of poeple have done it different ways and have gotten different results depending on the state they live in. A lot of state DMV's don't keep records very far back.

Good luck!

------------------
Joe
1969 Camaro - The Hole-y Grail Project
[email protected]
HwyStar's Garage!
1970 Malibu

·
Registered
873 Posts
I requested a history form from North Carolina for the history on my car. I dont have the results back yet but i can tell you that I had to sign agreement that I would not use the information to contact any of the previous owners. Other that that all they wanted was their money!
---------------------------------------------
68SS 396/375 L-78

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don't know about your DMV/MVA but in Virginia our DMV web site allows people to search a cars history by VIN for a fee.

It is supposed to be used for people that are interested in purchasing a used car. It may have data like Carfax. The only problem is that Carfax does not have the old car data.

I am still tying to locate a Camaro that I once owned. I want to try and buy it back.

------------------
69 RS Convertible Camaro, 350/350. Orignal red with black top and interior. Hotchkis suspension.
http://www.ragersworld.com/

·
Registered
26 Posts
jrager,

Just tried the VA site. They took my $12.00 and then said there were no online records for my car. I would venture to say they don't have old records online. My car was purchased in Va in 1969 then left the state a year later.

·
Registered
264 Posts
When the 67 was purchased, it came with a folder that contained info on the car dating back to 1985. My son has talked with this previous owner and received some pictures of the car that were taken in '85. Just have to trace the history now for the remaining 18 years. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Part of the Clinton legacy is the "Privacy Law" that he pushed and was enacted by Congress. Therefore the statement above, "I had to sign a form that I would not contact the previous owners" is par for the course now.

In Tennessee, you can still search your title however you must agree to the above, fill out the form that the information is for "research only" and you will get the information will all the names "blacked" out. You can still read them.

Interestingly enough, file as a licensed car dealer and there is no black out. Of course, you can use a lawyer to request the information and that is OK! Congress, lawyers, state legislature, lawyers, you get the picture.

This is part of the price of privacy that has been enacted upon "public" records.

The privacy law was a federal law. All the states must a least follow that law. Most are now even more stringent in their interpretation or by laws inacted by their local state legislature.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey guys, I just got my title history back from the North Carolina DMV. For $4 I got a very complete history all the previous owners, registrations, mileage at each change. I couldnot believe all the documents that I got from them. I was expecting to get a list of previous owners but instead I received photo copies of all the documents that the car ever had with the DMV. The car staying in this state helped alot. Kevin
--------------------------------------------------
68SS 396/375 L-78

1 - 11 of 11 Posts