Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
manifold off. What should I look for while it's off. Just to make sure everythings ok?

·
Registered
601 Posts
if you cant figure it out by next week ill come up there with a carb and manifold next weekend not this weekend. you 130 miles from me ride isnt to bad to help you out.:D when i fix it i drive it first lol

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you cant figure it out by next week ill come up there with a carb and manifold next weekend not this weekend. you 130 miles from me ride isnt to bad to help you out.:D when i fix it i drive it first lol
Thanks..I'm putting the manifold back on tommorrow. By the time it drys it will be Friday. If this doesn't fix it I'm gonna freak. I have an appiontment with my friends mechanic the knows older cars on monday. Well see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look for black stuff in the manifold and intake ports, black streaks thru the sealing area of the old gaskets, and uneven compression of the gaskets.
There is black stuff in the runners and on the top of the valves. They all look the same though. I could'nt tell much about the gasket because it ripped apart when I took apart the manifold. I put it on real good the first time, thats why I have my doubts about it. Note that all my plugs were always a light tan color.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before you put the manifold on, loosen the rockers and check bottom of each lifter, just to make sure .
What do you mean bottom? I would'nt have to worry about the manifold to do that right?

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
What do you mean bottom? I would'nt have to worry about the manifold to do that right?
If you had the intake manifold off, just for fun, loosen all valves and remove pushrods, pull one lifter at a time and check the bottom of the lifter. Look for worn or concave lifters, meaning you have lost one lobe and as well as a cam. Just looking for trouble here. Be sure to put back into same hole lifter came of.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you had the intake manifold off, just for fun, loosen all valves and remove pushrods, pull one lifter at a time and check the bottom of the lifter. Look for worn or concave lifters, meaning you have lost one lobe and as well as a cam. Just looking for trouble here. Be sure to put back into same hole lifter came of.

Put the manifold on with a new carb. Not fixed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts