Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently hydraulic flat tappet lifter failure is a big problem in our hobby & I know that a roller cam is probably a better choice but all I want to do is a cam change in a sbc that already has a flat tappet cam. Does anyone know who makes the hardened foot ac deco hl66 lifter or the gm performance version #25343052 today? Any other lifter suggestions?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
33,108 Posts
TRW had quality lifters.
The key to lifter life is soak lifter in oil overnight, coat both lifter and lobe with GM EOS when installing, and a good break-in period.

·
3,495 Posts
GH,

Who's camshaft are you going to install ? If I was doing it I would use the same manufacturer's lifter also along with their recommended assembly lube.

If it is a big cam with a lot of spring pressure I would find a way to decrease spring pressure during breakin. Either take the inner springs out if its a double spring or substitute a different spring for breakin.

Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
354 Posts
Be very careful. I just rebuilt my complete motor using a Comp Cam & Lifter combo with it going flat. Wiped a couple lobes on break in. Followed procedures to a Tee, all there lube on cam and lifters, lifter adjustment, etc. All the lifters had a strange wear pattern like they weren't rotating properly? Had someone tell me taper wasn't right on cam? Anyway on redo went hyd. roller. On redo with cam, lifters, bearings, etc ran me about another $2500 over what I spent on original rebuild of about $4000. Doing startup this Saturday again. Keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate all the advice. I was looking at a comp cams Hydraulic flat stick. Now, I'm not so sure. GCS's results is exactly what I'm afraid of. I do have dual springs and was planning on pulling the inners (130 seated and 290 @.5 open). Are the flat tappet failures only happening to the hydraulic sticks? I could run a solid flat tappet if that's the case.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
354 Posts
You only here about the bad results, like mine. I'm sure there are positive results out there. Easily 10 to 1 things work out fine. But when it happens it really sucks. I used a comp 280h which I had used in a motor many years ago with no problems. This time around with same cam, much better prep, comp cam lube, break in oil, everything right but bad luck wiped off a couple of lobes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You might consider DLC coated lifters as marketed by Trend Performance <Lifters & Tappets> or Precision Products Performance Center <Precision Products Performance Center...building the future of performance racing!> although they are best used with a tool steel billet camshaft. They are far from cheap but, if you are determined to stay with a flat tappet configuration this may be the most reliable option. I routinely use them with up to 400# of open spring pressure in high RPM applications.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You only here about the bad results, like mine. I'm sure there are positive results out there. Easily 10 to 1 things work out fine. But when it happens it really sucks. I used a comp 280h which I had used in a motor many years ago with no problems. This time around with same cam, much better prep, comp cam lube, break in oil, everything right but bad luck wiped off a couple of lobes.
I hope you are right about the failures percentages and wish you best of luck on your roller set up!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might consider DLC coated lifters as marketed by Trend Performance <Lifters & Tappets> or Precision Products Performance Center <Precision Products Performance Center...building the future of performance racing!> although they are best used with a tool steel billet camshaft. They are far from cheap but, if you are determined to stay with a flat tappet configuration this may be the most reliable option. I routinely use them with up to 400# of open spring pressure in high RPM applications.
This is something I'll definitely look into. (thumbs up)

thanks

·
Registered
946 Posts
Maybe it's a given, but nobody mentioned to make sure you use a high zinc (zddp) oil for break in. Running it with just the outer springs is a pain, but it is necessary with high lift cams and stiff springs.
I also forgot to mention Pro Topline lifters they bought out all the machinery from the old Johnson hy lift factory in Michigan and they were an OEM and huge aftermarket supplier those are good too. Its all in the break in plus the oil and you have to use a quality components. these days I wont use anything from the three that have had problems. I use Isky Howards Elgin Pro Stock Crower Engle and Clay Smith you hardly ever hear any problems with them and they have excellent customer service .Read my posts on break in . I built a ton of Quick and reliable street beaters for my young gearhead customers in50 years never a problem and they lasted a long time with numerous beatings. you have to clean everything hospital clean from out of the box then lube properly and follow proper break in procedure. Alex

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
354 Posts
Finally, successful start up! Everything went how it should. With a roller cam setup you don't have engine running at 3000 rpm for 30 minutes for break-in. That actually helps everything as you can think and hear better for any issues. First time roller cam install went great! Sounds goood! Couldn't be happier. Time to change oil, add coolant, put on hood, plus few minor things and take for a test drive. You all have a good weekend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally, successful start up! Everything went how it should. With a roller cam setup you don't have engine running at 3000 rpm for 30 minutes for break-in. That actually helps everything as you can think and hear better for any issues. First time roller cam install went great! Sounds goood! Couldn't be happier. Time to change oil, add coolant, put on hood, plus few minor things and take for a test drive. You all have a good weekend.
im glad everything went well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts