Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 69 SS camaro. The pervious owner replaced the front belt with some really crappy aftermarket belt. Does anyone know of any place I could pick up a set of used or new one at a resonable price. The ones for sale in my Classic Industries Catalog are not correct (they have the latch on the retactors).

Also has anyone upgraded there non console guages camaro to one with guages? Did the sending units have to be replaced and the wiring (Temp, Fuel, Amps, Oil). I am hoping the sending units and wiring of a non console guages car are compatable to one that is with a limited amount of splicing. Any help would be greatly apprechated.

------------------

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You can get new belts, but what is your definition of "reasonable price"?

The only place I have had experience with is Ssnake Oyl. they specialize in restoring seat belts. A set of restored original rear belts (without any cores) cost me $225. It was almost $400 (with cores) to have my front seat belts restored (remember, there are 4 belts per seat - shoulder and lap). I did not have the sew on the white seat belt tags. That was another $25 per tag (times 8 = $200, ouch).

I am very satisfied with the results and recommend Ssnake Oyl to anyone that still has original webbing on their belts. But, they are expensive.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I replaced the sending unit for the temp gauge and purchased the wiring harness (there are 2) from Classic Industries. They give good instructions on how to replace the wires needed for the console gauges to operate. You have to replace some in the buldkead connector. The instructions were easy to read and easy to do if you spend some time and read them first. Then read them again while looking at the wires. It's not cheap to do this but it is satisfying to see the results.

------------------

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blk69:
I recently purchased a 69 SS camaro. The pervious owner replaced the front belt with some really crappy aftermarket belt. Does anyone know of any place I could pick up a set of used or new one at a resonable price. The ones for sale in my Classic Industries Catalog are not correct (they have the latch on the retactors).

Also has anyone upgraded there non console guages camaro to one with guages? Did the sending units have to be replaced and the wiring (Temp, Fuel, Amps, Oil). I am hoping the sending units and wiring of a non console guages car are compatable to one that is with a limited amount of splicing. Any help would be greatly apprechated.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your input. I don't have any belts so I have no cores to redo. I did not consider adding a belt for the shoulder strap belt. Was that $225 for only the Front belts?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input. Was that $225 for just the front belts, or all of them.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
That was $225 for a complete set of four REAR belts (without cores).

It cost about $400 to have my eight FRONT belt cores rebuilt. It will cost more if you don't have the cores.

Total cost for front AND rear seat belts = $625. BUT, I did get the special lightweight carbon fiber belts with a low coefficient of drag, so I'm hoping to get another couple of tenths in the quarter.

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 07-14-2000).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I happened to notice that somebody paid $25 per seatbelt tag. I just wanted to let you know that I can get you same thing, any kind of tags you want, for any make and model for $35 dollars for a set of 8. They are quality, too. It was orinally run by Tom Viani, but now we're running it together. you can email us at [email protected] if there's anything you need or if you have any questions. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Camaro seat belts are on Ebay all the time. Some go pretty cheap if you're not fussy about the date codes or if they require some cleaning. The black belts are the easiest to find. If your interior is some other color like red or gold, etc. decent used ones are much harder to come by.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Blk69,
Looks like you got some good advise on the seat belts . . . on your gauge question . . I think I did a similar upgrade in my car that you ar looking to do. I took a 327 car, 2 on the tree powerglide, no console and turned it into a SS396 replica with a console. If you have any specific questions . . let me know . . . maybe I can help you out . . .in a nut shell you can buy the wiring harness and and guages to make a console functional . . no splicing was necessary the harness just pugs right in and your good to go. emial me at [email protected] with any questions . . you can see some pics of my console set up at www.geocities.com/jjknotts
Good luck
John
PS - I have a set of light blue front an back seat belts if you are interested . . as you can see from my web pics I decided to go with Simpson 5 points to match my roll cage. Let me know . .they can easily be dyed black and good as good as new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.