Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
This is a long shot. I came across several seat belt sets. How do I identify them for proper usage?
#1 set the tags say model #1952 and then 49 C 68
#2 set the tags say model # 1912 then 7 C 69
#3 set the tags say model #1912 then 8 E 69
Any help with ID would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim Shoenfelt

·
11,407 Posts
Easy :)

#1 set the tags say model #1952 and then 49 C 68 (69 coupe shoulders week 49 of 68)
#2 set the tags say model # 1912 then 7 C 69 (69 coupe/convert rear lap week 7 of 69)

#3 set the tags say model #1912 then 8 E 69 (69 coupe/convert rear lap week 8 of 69)

All of them are manufactured by Hamill and all are deluxe belts. How is the condition of the chrome and belts?

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Kevin id'd them for location. But without measuring the lengths, you can't be sure they were used in a Camaro. The same model #'s were used in big cars, etc.....

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Kurt,
So the same model number was used for different lengths? How did Hammil, Irvin keep their shipments straight? How did a plant like Van Nuys, that produced several brands, keep Camaro belts from being installed in Impalas?

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Very good question. I have no idea how the plants kept them straight. I was surprised about the different lengths for the same model #'s. But I have several belts that I picked up out of big cars and the lengths were different than Camaros.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Fisher Body released, ordered, stocked, and installed them by PART number, not by MODEL number; belt assemblies with the same model number but with different finished lengths for different car line applications would have different PART numbers, which didn't appear anywhere on the belts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Another obscure question answered by John....thanks.

Another curiosity question. What constituted the model number? just the style of the buckles and ends?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Also, why did they need the model numbers stitched to the belt, if it didn't help identify the proper application?

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
That is the question that I can't answer. The model # indicates the position of the belt.
But how did that help them track the belts seeing the part # was what mattered...

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
You have to dig into the Bill of Material and its release sub-charts for that kind of detail. Belts were received as individual assemblies (both ends of the belt, snapped together at the buckle), and each assembly (seven of them per car, times colors and standard or deluxe) had its own part number, which only appeared on the box they were shipped in. The boxes were stocked in tiered slide racks adjacent to the line, with each "slot" labeled with the part number, and a chart was posted that showed the operator the part number required for each seat position, interior color, and option combination. After a day or so on the job, an operator didn't need the chart any more - he could tell by the UOIT which color/style/type he needed for the next car, and the only guy who cared about the part number was the stockman who replenished the slide racks from the aisle side. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts