Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally got around to recovering the front seat bottoms on my ride.The passenger seat was not to bad , needed the side springs replaced only. The passenger side was mangled. The three long springs that attache from front to rear have seen better days. One of the springs is broken on the last tree inches of the back attaching part. The other two springs are ok, but where they attach to the back of the seat frame the smaller nubs that hold the spring in place have snapped off.
I think I can spot weld the springs to the seat frame in a position that would not be stressed when you sit in the seat. The broken spring, I think I can spot weld a secondary spring to the original then spot weld it to the frame as well. Has anyone had similair problems and spot weld the springs with any success? I think I can get my welder at a low enough setting to not burn through the frame. Need some feedback.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have to replace the side springs on my seat and I’ve noticed the originals are attached ( spring to spring) with a small sleeve that’s crimped I think. The spring steel might be too brittle to hold up after being welded. What you might try is to weld or braze something on the seat frame for new tabs then overlap the broken springs and connect them with some kind of sleeves or collars in a couple of places then maybe try to braze or tack them. Just something so that welds aren’t stressed and the only holding them togather.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'd buy new springs. They're about $50-60 each. The springs broke for a reason. You fix them in one spot, and then recover them....then they break in another spot.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree with unreal
My drivers side was wasted and I replaced it with the spring set-up from Ricks. The passenger side was not bad requiring only side springs and I left it alone but, I regret it in a way b/c the "new" drivers springs are really firm unlike the original passenger side. I would change both sides regardless of the condition. Just my .02

·
Retired
16,008 Posts
My new springs from Ricks will arrive this week. My old ones had those crimp patches in several places and the 'spring' was gone from them, welds broken. I bottomed out with my fat butt each time I sat down.
Get them done right the first time. My upholstry shop will be charging me $75 per seat to install the springs and re-burlap and re-foam before putting the covers back on. Looking at around $150 each to be done right.
A reminder, you are having fun

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tim, Too bad I sold a complete interior out of my 68. The seats were all good shape. Wish I didn't let all of the stuff go with car. I could have used some of them. Hood latch, wiper arms, mirror, fender braces and so on.

·
Registered
598 Posts
For the tangs/nubs that have broken off, I have used a MIG welder to build-up a hump of metal and then used a die grinder with a 1/16" width wheel to grind out one side and create a groove. They are actually now stouter than those original tangs.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lloyd,
I had a lot of parts too. I had a 67 firebird convertable and a parts car(Coupe). Both were in fairly decent shape, and both were complete. The parts car was just as solid as the vert but we bought it for the front fenders can you believe it? 326's and pwrglides. When I went in the service in 86 my older step brother got hold of them. Started working on the vert and couldn't do anything right, had no money blah blah blah. You get the story. He parked the vert at a girlfriends house and she broke up with him blah blah blah...The car disappeared and all the parts, hardtop disappeared around the same time. I would give my right arm to have those cars back. Its to bad my brother is a total idiot. He probably traded them for a bag of weed or something and lied about them getting stolen, he never even filed a report..... I am still pissed at him about that and that was over ten years ago.
Anyway, I think I found a guy with a lot of parts. I havn't been out to his place yet but he says he has a couple of acres of cars and nothing new and everything I am looking for. Rear ends power steering, disc brakes, whatever I want its mine.
I have to put the car on the back burner for a few weeks. I am testing for Master Sgt next month so I am trying to study. Another stripe means more Camaro money. ;)
I will be in Nashville from the 9th through the 14th for an environmental symposium. I hope I can get some time off to check out the local scene and slam a few beers without my wife giving me crap. Any body in Nashville want to get together for a few beers?

BTW: Bonecrusher thanks for the tip! I don't know if I could do that with my little arc welder. But I think I have a plan in mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts