Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to clean my seat belts for my 69? They aren't real bad but have been in a box with other parts for years.I was thinking about having them dry cleaned, Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
David,
Mine looked pretty bad, too. I was planning to dye them, but I stuck them in the kitchen sink, and scrubbed them with TSP (Tri-sodium phosphate) available from any hardware store.
They came out great....I'm not going to have to dye them.
I polished the buckles with plastic polish and they look great, too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you can clean them up well, that's great. I brought mine to an upholstry shop and then sewed on new belts. It only cost me 50 bucks

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gary And Gary/ David

·
Registered
955 Posts
I stuck the belts from the wife's 69 in the dishwasher. It really cleaned them up. I did them in the top rack so they didn't wind up touching the heating coil and starting a fire. I replaced the faded GM sticker on the release button and they look like new. Jim

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine are gold and were very dirty. I sprayed the dirty, greasy spots with "Shout" and then soaked them overnight in a bucket with hot water and Tide, then using a stiff bristle brush I scrubbed them. Rinsed them off the next day and hung them to dry on a coathanger. Painted the buckles and replaced the GM sticker with a new one. They look perfect.
Good Luck
JA

------------------
John P. Allen
Sunnyvale Ca.
68 RS, 327 w- A/C, 70 Buick GS455 Convertible
http://www.mothers.com/coolcars/coolcars.html
July 1999 and April 2001

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey 69X11SS....did Your wife know what You did?.....I got "caught" with a set of belts stuffed in an old pillowcase in the washing machine.....geez....She still talks about that one.....cleaned them up pretty good though...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife really got pi$$ed when I washed my greasy shop rags in the washer HeHe. I think MY clothes were washed next?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Actually, the dishwasher was her idea. I restored the 69 for her. She supervised my actions. I do know the rags in the washer trick. I didn't have a problem with greasy rags, it was the wax rags. They leave a film in the washer. I had to scrub out the inside.

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts