Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my Camaro for a quick spin and rounding a corner one of my center caps (derby-style) came off, clattering across a sidewalk. Besides embarrassing, I don't want to lose one of these expensive caps! Do any of you know any tricks to "tighting" these caps up (I would think by somehow expanding the inner sealing/clamping ring) with-out beating them up or making dimples in them? Thanks.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me, spent about a half hour rooting through some persons garden looking for the darn thing, just about to give up when we found it under a big spruce tree.
Any ways try using some hockey tape, (fabric)
and wrap it around the lip of the cap, this will give it a slight bit more thickness and will grab the rim.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
That is wye I do not use the rally wheels!

------------------
68 RS ORIGINAL 327,350 trans.4 BARREL 650 CFM EDELBROCK,
HEADERS,2CHAMBERS FLOW MASTERS,3" PIPE.
12 BOLT REAR END 331 GEARS

·
Retired
26,595 Posts
The center derby or rally cap is a 2 piece assembly. Take one off and look on the inside. The item Joe mentioned goes under one of the screws that hold the 2 pieces together and the other end under a lug nut.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
132 Posts
That cable that was mentioned earlier is an anti-theft deterant. When they pop the cap off and find it attached they might leave it alone. But if your cap falls off going down the road I would think you would do some serious body damage if you center cap is swinging around at however many RPM's.

·
Retired
26,595 Posts
The ones I have seen are short enough to not allow it to do any body damage but I would imagine having one come loose at 60 mph it would beat itself up as bad as if it bounced down the road... I've gone around a few corners and done a few smokers and checked mine (GM centers and repro rings) and they never budged... The one trip to the track I removed them at the tracks request...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
after you pop the center cap on try to rotate it by turning it with your hands. It seems to lock in better after rotation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts